From: NoSpam on
Using Excel 2003 I have written a set of macros that is used with workbooks
with a lot of hand entered data. Right now the macros need frequent
updates as more features are added. To facilitate providing updates, I
felt it was necessary to separate the code from the data so that the user
didn't have to do anything when the code was upgraded.

To accomplish this, I created an addin containing the macros. Now I just
email the new addin and users are good to go. The problem is that the
addin is automatically attached to every workbook I open and there are a
number of reasons that is not good.

Is there any way I can have the addin attached only to selected workbooks?
- OR-
Is there a way other than using addins to effectively separate the code
from the data so that the code can be updated independently of the data?

Thanks for any help.
From: Charles Williams on
The only reasons I can think of to have a workbook linked to an XLA
addin is when you either
-reference a UDF from the XLA in the workbook
- attach an on-sheet control to the workbook that references the XLA
- create a formula or defined name in the workbook that contains an
external reference to a cell on a worksheet in the XLA

None of these things should be happening when you open a new workbook
unless you want them to.

BTW you might want to look at my automatically reversioning addin
loader to solve potentail problems with shared updated addins.
http://www.Decisionmodels.com/downloads.htm

Charles Williams
Excel MVP
The Excel Calculation Site

From: NoSpam on
Thanks for replying. I'm sorry, but I don't quite undestand your reply.
When, in Excel, I go to Tools/Addins and check an available addin, it is
linked to every workbook I open from then on . That is exactly the
behaviour I don't want. I want it to be attached only to selected
workbooks, but I don't know how to accomplish that.

From: Peter T on
Describe what you mean by "linked"

Regards,
Peter T

From: Gord Dibben on
The add-in is not "linked" or "attached" to the open workbooks.

It is just available for use with any open workbook.

That's the nature of installed/loaded add-ins.

To have it available for certain workbooks only, load the add-in using code
in those workbooks.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
AddIns("Myaddin").Installed = True
End Sub

Unload when closing those workbooks.

AddIns("Myaddin").Installed = False
End Sub

Both these events are stored in Thisworkbook module of any workbook you wish
to have access to Myadd-in macros.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP