From: bobmct on
I am helping a colleague with his Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop. The
current resolutions is 1400 x 1050 which fills the 15" screen but the
icons and text are miniscule.

On literally all other PC's that I have worked on one can use the
display properties to lower the resolution to "enlarge" the desktop
appearance albeit have a smaller footprint.

When I try this on this particular machine the viewable image actually
shrinks leaving large black borders around the display area. The
lower the resolution the larger the black borders.

I've updated the drivers retrieved from the Dell site but I am at a
loss. This is a NVidia GForce machine.

Does anyone have any recommendations or hopefully had experience with
this issue before and provide a suggested resolution?

Thanks in advance.
From: BillW50 on
In news:d99uk5ddkd5gs5gcrat7qd7mhr07n0vjfk(a)4ax.com,
bobmct typed on Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:13:42 -0500:
> I am helping a colleague with his Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop. The
> current resolutions is 1400 x 1050 which fills the 15" screen but the
> icons and text are miniscule.
>
> On literally all other PC's that I have worked on one can use the
> display properties to lower the resolution to "enlarge" the desktop
> appearance albeit have a smaller footprint.
>
> When I try this on this particular machine the viewable image actually
> shrinks leaving large black borders around the display area. The
> lower the resolution the larger the black borders.
>
> I've updated the drivers retrieved from the Dell site but I am at a
> loss. This is a NVidia GForce machine.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations or hopefully had experience with
> this issue before and provide a suggested resolution?
>
> Thanks in advance.

On my two old Toshiba 2595XDVD laptops, they do the same thing. That is
if I don't select stretch in the BIOS. Maybe this Dell works the same
way.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

From: P.V. on
"bobmct" <r.mariotti(a)fdcx.net> kirjoitti
viestiss�:d99uk5ddkd5gs5gcrat7qd7mhr07n0vjfk(a)4ax.com...
> I am helping a colleague with his Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop. The
> current resolutions is 1400 x 1050 which fills the 15" screen but the
> icons and text are miniscule.
>
> On literally all other PC's that I have worked on one can use the
> display properties to lower the resolution to "enlarge" the desktop
> appearance albeit have a smaller footprint.
>
> When I try this on this particular machine the viewable image actually
> shrinks leaving large black borders around the display area. The
> lower the resolution the larger the black borders.
>
> I've updated the drivers retrieved from the Dell site but I am at a
> loss. This is a NVidia GForce machine.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations or hopefully had experience with
> this issue before and provide a suggested resolution?

Don't worry, there's nothing broken, and it's not a bug either. It's just
that in some situations resolution change is preferred to affect as on your
colleague's computer at the moment, but sometimes (as in your colleague's
case), the screen is wanted to scale up. To satisfy both needs, there's a
setting somewhere that the user can set up to his/her preference.

Most laptops I've seen have the setting somewhere under Display
Properties -> Settings -> Advanced (if it's Windows XP), though (at least
some) Dell's seem to have it in the BIOS settings.

On my ASUS notebook with NVIDIA graphics, there's under display properties
something called NVIDIA Control Panel. In there, I have in Display -> Change
flat panel scaling, a setting with name "When using a resolution lower than
my display's native resolution...", and under that there are four options:
- Use NVIDIA scaling
- Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed aspect ratio
- Use your display's built-in scaling
- do not scale

If your colleague has the same options there, one of two topmost ones will
do the trick.

But if the setting is in BIOS, look for a setting with terms 'scaling' and
'display'.

P.V.

From: Pen on
On 1/14/2010 9:13 AM, bobmct wrote:
> I am helping a colleague with his Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop. The
> current resolutions is 1400 x 1050 which fills the 15" screen but the
> icons and text are miniscule.
>
> On literally all other PC's that I have worked on one can use the
> display properties to lower the resolution to "enlarge" the desktop
> appearance albeit have a smaller footprint.
>
> When I try this on this particular machine the viewable image actually
> shrinks leaving large black borders around the display area. The
> lower the resolution the larger the black borders.
>
> I've updated the drivers retrieved from the Dell site but I am at a
> loss. This is a NVidia GForce machine.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations or hopefully had experience with
> this issue before and provide a suggested resolution?
>
> Thanks in advance.
In XP the fixes are *right click the desktop* the display
properties screen appears

select Appearance\font size to adjust text size.
Also appearance\advanced\item\icon to set icons size.

Additionally from the display properties screen click
settings\advanced\dpi setting to enlarge everything

Stay away from changing to 1400x1050 setting as LCD screens
only look good at their native settings.
From: bobmct on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:58:35 -0500, Pen <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote:

>On 1/14/2010 9:13 AM, bobmct wrote:
>> I am helping a colleague with his Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop. The
>> current resolutions is 1400 x 1050 which fills the 15" screen but the
>> icons and text are miniscule.
>>
>> On literally all other PC's that I have worked on one can use the
>> display properties to lower the resolution to "enlarge" the desktop
>> appearance albeit have a smaller footprint.
>>
>> When I try this on this particular machine the viewable image actually
>> shrinks leaving large black borders around the display area. The
>> lower the resolution the larger the black borders.
>>
>> I've updated the drivers retrieved from the Dell site but I am at a
>> loss. This is a NVidia GForce machine.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations or hopefully had experience with
>> this issue before and provide a suggested resolution?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>In XP the fixes are *right click the desktop* the display
>properties screen appears
>
>select Appearance\font size to adjust text size.
>Also appearance\advanced\item\icon to set icons size.
>
>Additionally from the display properties screen click
>settings\advanced\dpi setting to enlarge everything
>
>Stay away from changing to 1400x1050 setting as LCD screens
>only look good at their native settings.

Well thank you both PV and Pen;

There was no LCD scaling setting in advanced setting nor anywhere in
the BIOS.

However, using Pen's suggestions I was able to enable the NVidia
control panel and increase the size of the desktop icons from 32 to 36
and increase the default font from 8 to 10 and that increased the size
of the items on the desktop sufficiently enough to make them appear
more like was I was looking for.

Thank you again for your replies.