From: sk on
Has anyone here had any luck installing and using the Airnet AWN154
pcmcia cardbus on *nix? I'm still very new to this, so there's not much
I can try to do to get it to work. I'm running on VectorLinux 5.1 with
kernel version 2.4.29.

What I've gotten:

ndiswrapper -i mrv8000c.inf:
Installing mrv8000c
Forcing parameter AdhocGMode|1 to AdhocGMode|0
Forcing parameter AdhocGMode|1 to AdhocGMode|0

ndiswrapper -l:
mrv8000c driver present, hardware present

ndiswrapper -m:
adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to modprobe.conf

depmod -a:
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/ath_hal.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/ath_pci.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/ath_rate_onoe.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan_acl.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan_ccmp.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan_tkip.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan_wep.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan_xauth.o

modprobe ndiswrapper:
Warning: /lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/ndiswrapper.o symbol for parameter
if_name not found
Module ndiswrapper loaded, with warnings

dmesg:
ndiswrapper version 0.12 loaded (preempt=no, smp=no)
// after modprobe, no activity from the card
From: Daniel Böhmer on
Hello sk,

> I'm running on VectorLinux 5.1 with kernel version 2.4.29.

> depmod -a:
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/ath_hal.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/ath_pci.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/ath_rate_onoe.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan_acl.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan_ccmp.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan_tkip.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan_wep.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/net/wlan_xauth.o

Well, I am not an expert but some time ago I expierenced the same
problems like yours and therefor I'll try to help you as far as I can.

This sounds to me as you are using a outdated kernel version. I also
tried to run ndiswrapper on an old Red Hat release (which I had
installed for testing purposes) and it didn't work. AFAIR this is the
message I got...

So try to get a newer version of your distro or if none is available
change to another distro (but it's very unlikely that there is no
version with 2.6 kernel). I dunno which kernel version introduced
"ndiswrapper support" but all 2.6 releases should work fine.

If expierencing more probems with your wireless NIC think about buying a
card with the Prism chipset. I did that, too, and since then I haven't
have such problems.

Hopefully this helps a bit
Daniel Böhmer