From: S.T. on
On 1/21/2010 7:07 AM, Steve JORDI wrote:

> Thanks anyway. I didn't know prototype.js was depreciated.

As Scott mentioned, prototype.js isn't deprecated. That's David Mark's
standard response to ANY library (that is actually used at least, his
own is exempted from his criticism -- yet strangely is not seen in use
anywhere).

For some basic tab navigation a full-fledged library is not necessary
and probably not a great idea. But don't write off all libraries for
possible future use on more intensive projects based on the blather of
one zealot.
From: S.T. on
On 1/21/2010 3:54 PM, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
> However, the "zealot" and others have demonstrated a whole range
> of errors and shortcomings in jQuery and its severely incomplete
> documentation, which is quite convincing.

The "errors and shortcomings" in this newsgroup are hardly a convincing
argument to banish the library and label it garbage. For all the dire
warnings these flaws just don't seem to surface in real-world use.

The blather is akin to the Ruby or Python zealots declaring flaws in
PHP's OO methods so damning that the entire language is junk and should
be scrapped. There may be some technical merit to the points, but the
issues rarely appear and are easily bypassed on the rare occasion they do.

I can only speak to jQuery as I don't actively use other libraries, but
if one can live developing within the confines of supported browsers and
aren't writing code with the explicit goal of breaking the script you
are *extremely* unlikely to encounter errors that can be attributed to
jQuery.
From: Gregor Kofler on
S.T. meinte:

> I can only speak to jQuery as I don't actively use other libraries, but
> if one can live developing within the confines of supported browsers and
> aren't writing code with the explicit goal of breaking the script you
> are *extremely* unlikely to encounter errors that can be attributed to
> jQuery.

So where do all these "problem with jQuery"-posts (and the frequently
laughable workarounds) stem from? From people deliberately trying to
break it, or just the average script-kiddie trying to accomplish some
"cool stuff" which is so easy to implement with one of those libraries?

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com

Pages: 1