From: Ralph on

"LurfysMa" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:33:02 -0700, "Mike Harrington"
> <msnews(a)alouria.com> wrote:
>
> >Make sure it's registered
> >
> >go to command prompt, navigate to the directory and type:
> >
> >regsvr32 dao350.dll
>
> That did it. Thanks.
>
> Why did it become unregistered? I had been using it for some time and
> I don't think I unregistered it.
>
> >"LurfysMa" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >> When I tried to start it up the other day for the first time in 3-4
> >> months, I got the message
> >>
> >> Can't find file 'DAO350.DLL'
> >>
> >> And the program will not start.
> >>
> >> I have been running VB 6 for several years. I haven't used it for 3-4
> >> months, but as far as I know, I haven't changed anything.
> >>
> >> Search shows one copy of DAO350.DLL in
> >>
> >> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO
> >>
> >> Any help on what is wrong and, more importantly, what to do to fix it?
> >>
> >> Thanks

It should not have become "unregistered" in the normal course of events. And
it is a bit spooky that it did. You are likely to experience other registry
errors down the road.

While there are likely a zillion ways this can happen without an out-right
registry corruption. One of the most common ways a developer gets in trouble
is when they delete a folder or several folders (using the shell) in
preparation to recopy a back-up on to their machine. This moves everything
to the recycle bin. The shell nicely reconfigures the registry to look at
the new location (the recycle bin) - then you come along, cleanout the
garbage can and bang even though you have recopied the file, windows has no
clue how to find it.

As I am superstitious - I would be checking into some registry cleanup and
backup toys.

-ralph

From: LurfysMa on
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:19:50 -0500, "Ralph"
<nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>"LurfysMa" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:33:02 -0700, "Mike Harrington"
>> <msnews(a)alouria.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Make sure it's registered
>> >
>> >go to command prompt, navigate to the directory and type:
>> >
>> >regsvr32 dao350.dll
>>
>> That did it. Thanks.
>>
>> Why did it become unregistered? I had been using it for some time and
>> I don't think I unregistered it.
>>
>> >"LurfysMa" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>It should not have become "unregistered" in the normal course of events. And
>it is a bit spooky that it did. You are likely to experience other registry
>errors down the road.
>
>While there are likely a zillion ways this can happen without an out-right
>registry corruption. One of the most common ways a developer gets in trouble
>is when they delete a folder or several folders (using the shell) in
>preparation to recopy a back-up on to their machine. This moves everything
>to the recycle bin. The shell nicely reconfigures the registry to look at
>the new location (the recycle bin) - then you come along, cleanout the
>garbage can and bang even though you have recopied the file, windows has no
>clue how to find it.

I'm not sure if I deleted a folder (I may have), but I did move some
folders around. I have a project that I have been working on for
several years. I keep the project files and associated files (Word
docs, Visio flowcharts, etc.) in "version" folders (and subfolders).
Whenever I get to a point that I want to save my work, I copy the
entire version folder tree to an archive location. Then I rename the
active folder to include the date that that version began.

Just before I stopped work a few months ago, I did some reorganizing
of those folders. Some got moved and others got renamed. I thought it
was working right after that reorg, but I could be wrong.

But I didn't move VB itself. Why would a common file get unregistered?
If that is what happened, this seems like a design bug in VB itself.

>As I am superstitious - I would be checking into some registry cleanup and
>backup toys.

I have been meaning to do that anyway, but everytime I look into it, I
get told that these utilities cause as many problems as they cure.

Do you have one that you recommend?

From: Ralph on

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:19:50 -0500, "Ralph"
> <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >"LurfysMa" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> >> That did it. Thanks.
> >>
> >> Why did it become unregistered? I had been using it for some time and
> >> I don't think I unregistered it.

> >It should not have become "unregistered" in the normal course of events.
And
> >it is a bit spooky that it did. You are likely to experience other
registry
> >errors down the road.
> >
> >While there are likely a zillion ways this can happen without an
out-right
> >registry corruption. One of the most common ways a developer gets in
trouble
> >is when they delete a folder or several folders (using the shell) in
> >preparation to recopy a back-up on to their machine. This moves
everything
> >to the recycle bin. The shell nicely reconfigures the registry to look at
> >the new location (the recycle bin) - then you come along, cleanout the
> >garbage can and bang even though you have recopied the file, windows has
no
> >clue how to find it.
>
> I'm not sure if I deleted a folder (I may have), but I did move some
> folders around. I have a project that I have been working on for
> several years. I keep the project files and associated files (Word
> docs, Visio flowcharts, etc.) in "version" folders (and subfolders).
> Whenever I get to a point that I want to save my work, I copy the
> entire version folder tree to an archive location. Then I rename the
> active folder to include the date that that version began.
>
> Just before I stopped work a few months ago, I did some reorganizing
> of those folders. Some got moved and others got renamed. I thought it
> was working right after that reorg, but I could be wrong.
>
> But I didn't move VB itself. Why would a common file get unregistered?
> If that is what happened, this seems like a design bug in VB itself.
>
> >As I am superstitious - I would be checking into some registry cleanup
and
> >backup toys.
>
> I have been meaning to do that anyway, but everytime I look into it, I
> get told that these utilities cause as many problems as they cure.
>
> Do you have one that you recommend?
>
> >-ralph

First, it isn't VB that is the problem, it is "COM". COM components need to
be 'registered' which is simply an entry in the Registry. When you create a
'reference' for your project, VB stores a GUID (& occasionally a path) which
acts as a 'key' so that VB can find load the the component when you open
your project. If the entry no longer matches the true state of affairs - VB
can't find it and you are warned.

If you are moving components around it is a simple process to just
re-register the components at their new location when you are done. (In your
case you might want to create a batch file and leave it in the folder.)

Second, it is correct that strange results can result anytime you fool
around with the registry whether manually or using a utility. For example,
the veteran MS 'RegClean' occasionally has problems with, of all things,
Office products. Some have trouble with particularly creative entries for
certain product licensing. Still over all, they are useful in keeping the
Registry healthy especially by eliminating dead entries. Especially on a
development box were multiple versions of intermediate and version component
entries can build up in a hurry. Not using one will lead to more problems in
the long run than avoiding them because of something that 'might' happen.

I use the older version of 'RegCleaner' and am generally happy with it.
Someone in this group recommended "System Mechanics 5" and it is a decent
collection of relatively inexpensive tools and I use it too. (No problems
yet. <knocks on wood>)

Whenever one deals with the registry the most imporant advice, which is
generally true about everything, since the dawn of computers - is backup,
backup, backup.

-ralph

From: LurfysMa on
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:54:50 -0500, "Ralph"
> [...]

>Office products. Some have trouble with particularly creative entries for
>certain product licensing. Still over all, they are useful in keeping the
>Registry healthy especially by eliminating dead entries. Especially on a
>development box were multiple versions of intermediate and version component
>entries can build up in a hurry. Not using one will lead to more problems in
>the long run than avoiding them because of something that 'might' happen.
>
>I use the older version of 'RegCleaner' and am generally happy with it.
>Someone in this group recommended "System Mechanics 5" and it is a decent
>collection of relatively inexpensive tools and I use it too. (No problems
>yet. <knocks on wood>)
>
>Whenever one deals with the registry the most imporant advice, which is
>generally true about everything, since the dawn of computers - is backup,

Ok, thanks for the information.

It sounds like a very important first step would be to at least obtain
program to back up the registry -- if not edit it. That way, I would
have saved versions that I could compare with.

--
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2