From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:01:40 -0800, "Joe User" <joeu2004> wrote:

>You fail to acknowledge and seem to fail to notice that I demonstrated by
>example that it is not.

I quoted your comment about there being no perfect method. But if it makes you
feel better, I explicitly acknowledge than one can construct sets of data and
rules for division for which the simpler rounding algorithms are inadequate,
and the data set and rules you posted earlier are an example of that
inadequacy.

Your example, although demonstrating this point is, in my opinion, unrealistic.

I think it more likely that those who are dividing a pot of $15 with a rule of
10% to 10 people, and 0% to 10 people, rounded to the nearest $1, would come up
with a different rule.

The situation I am dealing with has to do with dividing a much larger pot
amongst many fewer people, and the maximum deviation from perfect has been a
mere penny, using simple rounding algorithms.
--ron
From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:30:50 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld <ronrosenfeld(a)nospam.org>
wrote:

>The situation I am dealing with has to do with dividing a much larger pot
>amongst many fewer people, and the maximum deviation from perfect has been a
>mere penny, using simple rounding algorithms.

And, of course, the deviation could be greater depending on the various
parameters that make up the rules; in which case, a more involved algorithm
would be required; than merely rounding the first n computations and taking the
difference for the last.
--ron