From: Stan Hoeppner on
Robert Lopez put forth on 4/6/2010 1:56 PM:

> Then then this is working:
> $ postmap -q 222.254.228.0 cidr:/etc/postfix/cidr-ip
> DISCARD
> $ postmap -q 222.254.228.1 cidr:/etc/postfix/cidr-ip
> DISCARD
>
> So, now I understand.

Don't feel bad Robert. I went through pretty much the same thing you have
back when I first started using CIDR maps (and many other Postfix features).

Postfix documentation is not a "how-to" as much as it is a concise
definition of each parameter. It takes a while to get used to the style and
flow of the man pages before one can easily digest any given page he/she
pulls up.

How-to guides found via Google et al can really help you figure out your
current issue, plus help you digest the man pages if you cross reference the
how-to and the docs. After a while, you'll understand the terminology and
way the docs work, and you'll be less reliant on the how-to's and books.

Like any _technical_ document, Postfix man pages require the reader to be
familiar with terminology definitions in the document. I have found that
this sometimes requires backtracking through multiple doc sections just to
figure out what the terms in the man page I'm currently looking at mean.

Instead of man pages in a bash console, I usually use:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

I use my browser's find-in-current-page function to jump up and down through
this main.cf config doc to find the information I need in order to
understand a given section. This is much more intuitive than jumping back
and forth through multiple man pages in bash. Many things on this page are
hotlinked to other relevant things on the same page which is really nice.
Bookmark this page. I think you'll find it very beneficial. If you find
you still can't understand something, Google it, and you'll often find
something written in a way you can understand it better.

I've been using Postfix since 2005. In the past five years I have learned
(at least) one valuable lesson: Finding and understanding information in
the Postfix documentation requires _patience_ and perserverence. ;)

Someone stated yesterday or the day before that becoming a mail op isn't
easy, it's not for everyone, and the good ones have spent years honing their
knowledge and skills. As I stated, I've been using Postfix for 5 years, and
I'm still a novice WRT most of the features. Welcome to the club. :)

--
Stan