From: Sam on
Hi,

I have a stored procedure with an OUTPUT parameter. When I execute the
procedure in SQL Server Mgmt Studio, am I supposed to see the OUTPUT
parameter's value?

I'm troubleshooting an issue and at this point I'm not sure if it's the
application code or the stored procedure. When I execute the stored
procedure, it does what it's supposed to do i.e. insert a new record, but I
do not see the value of the output param -- unlike when I return values
through a SELECT statement. Is this normal or am I supposed to see the value
returned by the output param?
--
Thanks,

Sam
From: Tibor Karaszi on
No, you don't see the OUT params in SSMS. You ´would have to declare a
variable, assign the out params in a calling batch and then present those
values (using SELECT, for instance).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: Dan Guzman on
> I have a stored procedure with an OUTPUT parameter. When I execute the
> procedure in SQL Server Mgmt Studio, am I supposed to see the OUTPUT
> parameter's value?
>
> I'm troubleshooting an issue and at this point I'm not sure if it's the
> application code or the stored procedure. When I execute the stored
> procedure, it does what it's supposed to do i.e. insert a new record, but
> do not see the value of the output param -- unlike when I return values
> through a SELECT statement. Is this normal or am I supposed to see the
> value
> returned by the output param?

To add on to Tibor's response, you can generate a script to execute the proc
from SSMS Object Explorer. Right-click on the proc and select Script Stored
Procedure as-->Execute to. This will generate the needed variable
declarations and EXECUTE statement. Add desired variable assignments and a
SELECT or PRINT of the output values after the EXECUTE.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/

From: Tibor Karaszi on
> To add on to Tibor's response, you can generate a script to execute the
> proc from SSMS Object Explorer. Right-click on the proc and select Script
> Stored Procedure as-->Execute to. This will generate the needed variable
> declarations and EXECUTE statement. Add desired variable assignments and
> a SELECT or PRINT of the output values after the EXECUTE.

Cool. You learn something every day! :-)

From: Uri Dimant on
Yep, I faced that problem when Intelisence's cache was not cleared and it
did not recognized my new created stored procedure but did run it by EXECUTE
....:-)))

"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi(a)hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:OKKftLtuKHA.3896(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...