From: John K. Herreshoff on
So, is there a trick to get Amarok to play a cd? The intuitive things don't
work.

Or should I junk it and just use XMMS.

John.
--
Using the White Box.
From: thrash.dude on
John K. Herreshoff wrote:
> So, is there a trick to get Amarok to play a cd? The intuitive things don't
> work.
>
> Or should I junk it and just use XMMS.
>
> John.

Amarok does not play audio cds.
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_play_audio-CDs

Stick with Xmms. If you're on 13.1 the new audacious is far better than
previous versions.
From: John K. Herreshoff on
thrash.dude wrote:

> John K. Herreshoff wrote:
>> So, is there a trick to get Amarok to play a cd? The intuitive things
>> don't work.
>>
>> Or should I junk it and just use XMMS.
>>
>> John.
>
> Amarok does not play audio cds.
> http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_play_audio-CDs
>
> Stick with Xmms. If you're on 13.1 the new audacious is far better than
> previous versions.

Thanks, Dude.

John.

--
Using the White Box.
From: Richard Herbert on
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 13:32:13 -0400, thrash.dude wrote:

> John K. Herreshoff wrote:
>> So, is there a trick to get Amarok to play a cd? The intuitive things
>> don't work.
>>
>> Or should I junk it and just use XMMS.
>>
>> John.
>
> Amarok does not play audio cds.
> http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_play_audio-CDs
>
> Stick with Xmms. If you're on 13.1 the new audacious is far better than
> previous versions.

I found it in Audacious under "Plugin services/Play CD". Wasn't able to
locate it in XMMS, unfortunately. It looks like being able to play audio
CDs is becoming a part of legacy support. You end up thinking this way
when trying to play the CD "Presence" by Led Zep, and can't find an app in
KDE that'll do it.

--
Richard Herbert
Registered Linux user 14329
From: notbob on
On 2010-06-03, Richard Herbert <rherbert(a)sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I found it in Audacious under "Plugin services/Play CD". Wasn't able to
> locate it in XMMS, unfortunately. It looks like being able to play audio
> CDs is becoming a part of legacy support. You end up thinking this way
> when trying to play the CD "Presence" by Led Zep, and can't find an app in
> KDE that'll do it.

No doubt due to the increasing ease of circumventing DRM protection.
I was surprised when I discovered I could record any sounds internally
with audacity and practically any soundcard, something I couldn't do under any
M$ software, at least not without two computers and a patch chord.
I've yet to discover how to do video DVDs. Of course, it's not like
I've been trying.

This whole thing gets more and more frustrating because, allegedly,
it's legal to record songs you already have a paid copy of. Did that change?
Easier to just get songs from the web. Stupid recording industry.

nb