From: Frisbee� on
As opposed to an expected one?

Losing what's left of my hair over this one...

My accounting app written in VB6 SP6 is crashing. But only on one machine
at a client's site. What's really strange is that my app was running until
some arbitrary update (I update several times a week on average) and he's
not been able to run any updates past a specific one. Yet those same
updates run just fine on all the other computers on the network on-site.
The only one that fails with "Unexpected Error" is the one running terminal
services (or whatever it's called now) under Windows 2003. They have a
remote site accessing the package, been running fine for months, now
suddenly won't work on anything past a certain release. Of course, a custom
change they needed is on one of the later releases. Where its failing is
the main module load, which has not been modified for at least a year.

Nevertheless, I have placed debugging code (high-tech msgboxes!) all over
the place in the form_Initialize event, then in the form_load event. He
gets all the messages in form_initialize, then the dreaded "Unexpected
Error" message. Thinking it must be some event in between initialize and
load, I added the same debugging messages to all events that had code - same
result. Then I added debugging messages to all events, period - same
result. Then I ran a trace on my own to see what other events might be
occurring between initialize and load, and at least on my machine, no other
events happen between those two.

I am sure it almost has to be terminal services, since nobody else is
getting this error anywhere, and there are hundreds of other users.

Please, I"m down to about four or five hairs on my head! Please help me
save the follicles!

Bill "Frisbee" Hileman
Newly-designated Owner of Hamelin Software
http://www.hamelinsoftware.com

From: Boris Pauljev on
What kind of a control are you using in the left side of the app?
Looks like something from vbAccelerator, judging from the screenshot on
your website.
This would be my first guess for an source of error.
From: Frisbee� on
Boris Pauljev wrote:
> What kind of a control are you using in the left side of the app?
> Looks like something from vbAccelerator, judging from the screenshot
> on your website.
> This would be my first guess for an source of error.

Nice catch. It isn't vaAccelerator, but it is Infragistics Outlook Bar and
Explorer controls.

Problem is, I have not altered -anything- on that main form for at least a
year, and the program -was- running just fine up until a couple of week ago.
I did suspect it was a form_resize event, since I do indeed alter the size
of the outlook bar, explorer, and two command buttons based on previous
settings stored in the registry, but the resize event is apparently not
fired until the form is shown, and it never even enters the form_load event
on that machine.

From: Nobody on
"Frisbee�" <discgolfdad(a)gEEmail.com> wrote in message
> Boris Pauljev wrote:
>> What kind of a control are you using in the left side of the app?
>> Looks like something from vbAccelerator, judging from the screenshot
>> on your website.
>> This would be my first guess for an source of error.
>
> Nice catch. It isn't vaAccelerator, but it is Infragistics Outlook Bar
> and Explorer controls.
>
> Problem is, I have not altered -anything- on that main form for at least a
> year, and the program -was- running just fine up until a couple of week
> ago. I did suspect it was a form_resize event, since I do indeed alter the
> size of the outlook bar, explorer, and two command buttons based on
> previous settings stored in the registry, but the resize event is
> apparently not fired until the form is shown, and it never even enters the
> form_load event on that machine.

Controls are loaded between Form_Initialize and Form_Load.

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Frisbee�" <discgolfdad(a)gEEmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Problem is, I have not altered -anything- on that main form for at least a
> year, and the program -was- running just fine up until a couple of week ago. I
> did suspect it was a form_resize event, since I do indeed alter the size of
> the outlook bar, explorer, and two command buttons based on previous settings
> stored in the registry, but the resize event is apparently not fired until the
> form is shown, and it never even enters the form_load event on that machine.

This is just a wild guess triggered by MS Photo Editor (known to store
erroneous values for its windows position in the registry and next run its
window is out of sight):
Has your program already retrieved those values from the registry?
Are they in the expected range? Maybe they cause the crash.
Does your program check those values or just pass them to the controls?

Helmut.