From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Out of curiosity more than anything else, I started playing with the idea of
a stylesheet that overrides any other style sheets and presentational HTML
features, as far as that is possible, and imposes a "semantic" way of
rendering.

By this I mean that the defined semantics of HTML markup is used as the
basis, rendering elements in a manner that more or less reflects that
semantics. For elements like <p>, old typographic tradition of first-line
indent would be used. Links might be preceded by an arrow, as cross
references in encyclopedias. Forms and tables would be rendered in a uniform
manner, clearly distinguished as forms and tables. For some elements,
interesting renderings might be used, like preceding any <kbd> element by a
keyboard icon and following it with that same icon as grayed out. Fonts
would be used in a disciplined way: one copy text font, another font for
headings and tables, and a monospace font for <pre> and <tt> for which
that's part of the definition.
Demo:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/styles/semantic-test.html

I'm not sure what that might be useful for. But it was an interesting idea,
and using such a style sheet as a user style sheet (e.g., using Web
Developer Extensions in Firefox, letting you add a style sheet on the fly)
would reveal the "true" (= marked-up) structure, if any, of a page and might
work as a sanity saver when you wish to read a page but get rid of its fancy
formatting.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

From: William Gill on
On 8/8/2010 12:42 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Out of curiosity more than anything else, I started playing with the
> idea of a stylesheet that overrides any other style sheets and
> presentational HTML features, as far as that is possible, and imposes a
> "semantic" way of rendering.
Interesting, and useful.

> ... For elements like <p>, old typographic tradition of
> first-line indent would be used. ...
I used to try to replicate this, and the convention of double spacing
between sentences, but have abandoned the practice under the assumption
that a new media created a new convention.

> I'm not sure what that might be useful for. But it was an interesting
> idea, and using such a style sheet as a user style sheet (e.g., using
> Web Developer Extensions in Firefox, letting you add a style sheet on
> the fly) would reveal the "true" (= marked-up) structure, if any, of a
> page and might work as a sanity saver when you wish to read a page but
> get rid of its fancy formatting.

At the very least it serves as a good basis on which to build one's own
consistent "typographic" style, if not a good foundation for an
interesting philosophical discussion.

Bill
From: Swifty on
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 19:42:00 +0300, "Jukka K. Korpela"
<jkorpela(a)cs.tut.fi> wrote:

>I'm not sure what that might be useful for.

Well, it has taught me a number of HTML tags that I hadn't come across
before. I already knew basic HTML tags when HTML first appeared as
they are the same as the SGML markup languages that I'd been using.
After that, I learned new tags "on demand".

I can use Opera's "User mode" to see the effect of the tags if there
were no CSS in effect.

Your page is like the laser. Everyone could see that it is useful, but
no one could think of a use, at first. :-)

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
From: dorayme on
In article <C7B7o.8557$136.648(a)uutiset.elisa.fi>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela(a)cs.tut.fi> wrote:

> Out of curiosity more than anything else, I started playing with the idea of
> a stylesheet that overrides any other style sheets and presentational HTML
> features, as far as that is possible, and imposes a "semantic" way of
> rendering.
>
> By this I mean that the defined semantics of HTML markup is used as the
> basis, rendering elements in a manner that more or less reflects that
> semantics. For elements like <p>, old typographic tradition of first-line
> indent would be used. Links might be preceded by an arrow, as cross
> references in encyclopedias. Forms and tables would be rendered in a uniform
> manner, clearly distinguished as forms and tables. For some elements,
> interesting renderings might be used, like preceding any <kbd> element by a
> keyboard icon and following it with that same icon as grayed out. Fonts
> would be used in a disciplined way: one copy text font, another font for
> headings and tables, and a monospace font for <pre> and <tt> for which
> that's part of the definition.
> Demo:
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/styles/semantic-test.html
>
> I'm not sure what that might be useful for. But it was an interesting idea,
> and using such a style sheet as a user style sheet (e.g., using Web
> Developer Extensions in Firefox, letting you add a style sheet on the fly)
> would reveal the "true" (= marked-up) structure, if any, of a page and might
> work as a sanity saver when you wish to read a page but get rid of its fancy
> formatting.

I take it that your idea is to do better than to simply disable
all author styles and rely on the basic no frills styles provided
by most browsers. By no frills I mean that if no author styles
were included in or for an HTML doc, the browser would supply a
basic style and this basic style reflects to some degree the
semantics in the sense that if the author is not too clueless and
more or less uses the right elements to house his meanings, the
basic styles already bring the meanings out.

I am thinking that your aim is to give particularly distinct
styles to elements, ones that are more prominent or more useful
than the no frills one that browsers provide.

The no frills ones could also come under the description of
showing the semantics up to a point. The paragraphs, for example,
in the no frills ones more or less get to look like paragraphs,
links are underlined and blue and are instantly recognised as
links, lists go down the page and have bullets and so are also
easily recognised. I confess not examining your treatment of
other elements yet, this is where you might well be on to an
improvement over what already exists.

Since there is already a sanity saver to get rid of fancy author
styles, your proposal is that yours does this too but in addition
emphasises the meaning better.

I imagine that some people might find this useful and especially
if they take their cue to fashion their version of your sheet to
their own liking.

--
dorayme
From: Jeff Thies on
On 8/9/2010 2:45 AM, Swifty wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 19:42:00 +0300, "Jukka K. Korpela"
> <jkorpela(a)cs.tut.fi> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what that might be useful for.
>
> Well, it has taught me a number of HTML tags that I hadn't come across
> before. I already knew basic HTML tags when HTML first appeared as
> they are the same as the SGML markup languages that I'd been using.
> After that, I learned new tags "on demand".
>
> I can use Opera's "User mode" to see the effect of the tags if there
> were no CSS in effect.
>
> Your page is like the laser. Everyone could see that it is useful, but
> no one could think of a use, at first. :-)

The problem, as I see it, is not in the usefulness but in creating
the markup. For someone with expertise in html and it could be very
useful in switching in a stylesheet like this to see how the document
was structured. Or at least it could be with some style changes. I can
see uses for that in abstracts and studies where precision in meaning is
important. It could also help in indexing the content. For the run of
the mill web content, much less so.

Just my 2 Markk Wuggas.

Jeff