From: Bastian Erdnuess on
Hi,

On the HP 28S is a command called FORM. Does anybody here knows it? It
is used to reformat expressions. E.g. with it you can pretty easy
transform 'X+Y' into 'Y+X'. I now have had a hard time trying to
transform '1/(SQRT(2*pi)*EXP(X^2/2))' into '1/SQRT(2*pi)*EXP(-X^2/2)' on
the HP 50g, but no chance. Does anybody know how to do this?

I found the equation writer (EQW) and the algebra menu (ALG) containing
beside others COLLECT and EXPAND. I also went over the fifth chapter of
HP 50g's user guide ("Algebraic and arithmetic operations") but I didn't
find anything useful in there.

Thanks for any hint,
Bastian

PS: There is no point doing THIS transformation. I just want to know,
how to do transformations like that in general.
From: ddoherty03 on
On Nov 30, 1:15 pm, earth...(a)web.de (Bastian Erdnuess) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the HP 28S is a command called FORM.  Does anybody here knows it?  It
> is used to reformat expressions.  E.g. with it you can pretty easy
> transform 'X+Y' into 'Y+X'.  I now have had a hard time trying to
> transform '1/(SQRT(2*pi)*EXP(X^2/2))' into '1/SQRT(2*pi)*EXP(-X^2/2)' on
> the HP 50g, but no chance.  Does anybody know how to do this?
>
> I found the equation writer (EQW) and the algebra menu (ALG) containing
> beside others COLLECT and EXPAND.  I also went over the fifth chapter of
> HP 50g's user guide ("Algebraic and arithmetic operations") but I didn't
> find anything useful in there.

I'm not sure what you mean by you "found the equation writer". You
can use
it pretty easily to do this sort of thing by selecting the (X^2/2)
subexpresion
with the arrow keys, then hitting the '+-' key.

If you mean doing programaticly, I don't know.

Regards,

Dan
From: Bastian Erdnuess on
Thank you, for your respond.

ddoherty03 <ddoherty03(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 1:15 pm, earth...(a)web.de (Bastian Erdnuess) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On the HP 28S is a command called FORM. Does anybody here knows it? It
> > is used to reformat expressions. E.g. with it you can pretty easy
> > transform 'X+Y' into 'Y+X'. I now have had a hard time trying to
> > transform '1/(SQRT(2*pi)*EXP(X^2/2))' into '1/SQRT(2*pi)*EXP(-X^2/2)' on
> > the HP 50g, but no chance. Does anybody know how to do this?
> >
> > I found the equation writer (EQW) and the algebra menu (ALG) containing
> > beside others COLLECT and EXPAND. I also went over the fifth chapter of
> > HP 50g's user guide ("Algebraic and arithmetic operations") but I didn't
> > find anything useful in there.
> >

> I'm not sure what you mean by you "found the equation writer".

I'm not sure, either. I think it shell mean something like "I'm aware
that it exists, but I don't see how to use it to do what I want".

> You can use
> it pretty easily to do this sort of thing by selecting the (X^2/2)
> subexpresion with the arrow keys, then hitting the '+-' key.

But this changes the expression.

How it is, is that in '1/(SQRT(2*pi)*EXP(X^2/2))' the EXP is in the
denominator. But what I want is, to have the EXP in the nominator, just
with opposite sign. When I do what you explain then the EXP is still in
the denominator, but with opposite sign. That's not what I want.

> If you mean doing programaticly, I don't know.

No, just by hand.

Regards,
Bastian