From: Markus Lavin on
Hi all,

This is a post to announce the existence of the AjarDSP project, an
attempt to design and implement an open source VLIW DSP with an open
source tool chain (assembler, simulator/debugger and C compiler).

Check out the details at: http://code.google.com/p/ajardsp/

regards
Markus
From: Jason on
On Jul 21, 3:27 am, Markus Lavin <markusl.se78pleasenos...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a post to announce the existence of the AjarDSP project, an
> attempt to design and implement an open source VLIW DSP with an open
> source tool chain (assembler, simulator/debugger and C compiler).
>
> Check out the details at:http://code.google.com/p/ajardsp/
>
> regards
> Markus

Looks like a pretty ambitious project; good luck. It looks to me that
your design was heavily influenced by TI's C55x family? It does appear
to have a number of enhancements above any of those devices though
(more registers, more parallelism).

Jason
From: Markus Lavin on
On 21 Juli, 16:26, Jason <cincy...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 3:27 am, Markus Lavin <markusl.se78pleasenos...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > This is a post to announce the existence of the AjarDSP project, an
> > attempt to design and implement an open source VLIW DSP with an open
> > source tool chain (assembler, simulator/debugger and C compiler).
>
> > Check out the details at:http://code.google.com/p/ajardsp/
>
> > regards
> > Markus
>
> Looks like a pretty ambitious project; good luck.

Thanks!

> It looks to me that
> your design was heavily influenced by TI's C55x family?

That is possible, but not really intentional. I would say that given
that certain design parameters are fixed (like 16-bit dual-mac, 64-bit
VLIW bundles, etc) then once you start to consider instruction
encoding you aren't left with that much freedom. At least not if one
wants to go for the more obvious solutions.

> It does appear
> to have a number of enhancements above any of those devices though
> (more registers, more parallelism).
>
> Jason

Markus
From: Andreas Ehliar on
On 2010-07-21, Markus Lavin <markusl.se78pleasenospam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a post to announce the existence of the AjarDSP project, an
> attempt to design and implement an open source VLIW DSP with an open
> source tool chain (assembler, simulator/debugger and C compiler).
>
> Check out the details at: http://code.google.com/p/ajardsp/

This sounds very interesting. I have contemplated doing something similar
a long time as there were no FPGA optimized DSP processor available that
I'm was aware of, but in the end I got stuck creating a fairly general
purpose FPGA optimized processor instead.

Are you doing this just for fun or do you have some specific applications
in mind?

/Andreas
From: Markus Lavin on
On 27 Juli, 20:21, Andreas Ehliar <ehliar-nos...(a)isy.liu.se> wrote:
> On 2010-07-21, Markus Lavin <markusl.se78pleasenos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > This is a post to announce the existence of theAjarDSPproject, an
> > attempt to design and implement an open source VLIW DSP with an open
> > source tool chain (assembler, simulator/debugger and C compiler).
>
> > Check out the details at:http://code.google.com/p/ajardsp/
>
> This sounds very interesting. I have contemplated doing something similar
> a long time as there were no FPGA optimized DSP processor available that
> I'm was aware of, but in the end I got stuck creating a fairly general
> purpose FPGA optimized processor instead.

I agree, this is a very interesting subject and there does indeed seem
to be a lack of open source DSP implementations available on the net.
However, at this point in time I would not consider AjarDSP to be in
any way FPGA optimized. It is approaching a feature complete phase and
after that focus will naturally shift to trying to increase speed and
reduce area. Somewhere inbetween it would also be interesting to
evaluate the 'compiler friendliness' of certain architectural
features...

> Are you doing this just for fun or do you have some specific applications
> in mind?

No, there is no specific application in mind except perhaps some demo
in the area of audio processing. The goal for the project is simply to
provide the DSP and the tools. In the end hopefully someone will find
it useful and maybe consider it for use in some product. In the
meantime I consider this CV improvement and of course I can't deny
that it is quite fun to work on every now and then :)

/Markus