From: Butch Malahide on
On Nov 23, 5:01 pm, Herman Jurjus <hjm...(a)hetnet.nl> wrote:
> Butch Malahide wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 5:22 am, Herman Jurjus <hjm...(a)hetnet.nl> wrote:
> >> Has anyone seen this before?
>
> >>http://possiblyphilosophy.wordpress.com/2008/09/22/guessing-the-resul....
>
> > In plain mathematical terms: for any set X, there is a function f:X^N-
> >> X such that, for each sequence (x_1, x_2, ...} in X^N, the equality
> > x_n = f(x_{n+1}, x_{n+2}, ...) holds for all but finitely many n.
>
> > This is old hat: see Problem 5348, American Mathematical Monthly,
> > volume 72 (1965), p. 1136. (This has been discussed on sci.math in the
> > past.)
>
> Good to know that!
> When was that, approximately (I mean the sci.math discussion)?
> And under what name was/is it known?

It has probably come up more than once. I found some stuff by googling
on "problem 5348".
From: Butch Malahide on
On Nov 23, 5:20 pm, Butch Malahide <fred.gal...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 5:01 pm, Herman Jurjus <hjm...(a)hetnet.nl> wrote:
>

> > Butch Malahide wrote:

> > > In plain mathematical terms: for any set X, there is a function f:X^N-
> > > x_n = f(x_{n+1}, x_{n+2}, ...) holds for all but finitely many n.
>
> > > This is old hat: see Problem 5348, American Mathematical Monthly,
> > > volume 72 (1965), p. 1136. (This has been discussed on sci.math in the
> > > past.)
>
> > Good to know that!
> > When was that, approximately (I mean the sci.math discussion)?
> > And under what name was/is it known?
>
> It has probably come up more than once. I found some stuff by googling
> on "problem 5348".

OK, I find two sci.math threads: "Ill-defined puzzle" and "An
astonishing application of the AC". The first one has no mathematical
content. Problem 5348 is also mentioned (with an application) in the
sci.math.research thread "Trick property".
From: William Hughes on
On Nov 23, 2:41 pm, "Mike Terry"
<news.dead.person.sto...(a)darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:
> "William Hughes" <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >>http://possiblyphilosophy.wordpress.com/2008/09/22/guessing-the-resul....

> or

> there's
> 'first'

> entries
> in

> create a
> class.
> the
> of
> indeed

> > > What's s(m) ?
>
> > > As a matter of fact, what's a_n(m) ?
> > > The game involves tosses and guesses, i.e. two sequences with one index:
> > > toss(n), guess(n).
>
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Herman Jurjus
>
> > s is the sequence of tosses, so s(n) = toss(n)
>
> > As above, a_n(m) is equal to the toss if m>n, otherwise
> > is a head.  Note that a_n is equal to s except perhaps on
> > a finite set.
>
> > For any n, a_n(n) is heads, so guess(n)=a_n(n) is heads.
>
> > I don't think the fact that time is reversed has any
> > real bearing on this.  If the tosses are independent, perfect
> > knowledge of the future is of no help for the present.
>
> > From the quoted page
>
> >   Now, since the representative sequence and the actual
> >   sequence of heads and tails that occurs are in the same
> >   equivalence class, they must only differ at finitely many
> >   places.
>
> > Correct.  Note this is true of sequence a_n.
>
> Yes, but there is not one sequence a_n, but rather one for every

My notation is confusing as often "sequence a_n" means
sequence a with nth term a_n. However by sequence a_n
I mean a sequence (nth term a_n(n)). Sequences a_n and a_m
may not be the same for n =/= m. I.e. there is a different
sequence for every n.

<snip>

> In the article, r(n) is just one sequence, and our g(n) = r(n) for all n.

Yes and no. It does in fact follow that there is only one
sequence r(n) and this is the key to the "paradox".

However, my reading of the article was that it implied
it was enough
to take at each step, a sequence which differed from
the sequence of tosses at only a finite number of points.
As my example shows, this can be done without using
AC and is not sufficient.

However, to get a single sequence, r, we need to associate
a representative element to each equivalence class.
For this we need AC. However, I do not see any problem here
and though the result of being able to choose
(nonconstructively) a representative sequence may
be seen as counterintuitive it is certainly no
more so than the fact that a infinite set
can be put in one to one correspondence with a subset.

I am not sure to what extent the "reverse supertask"
is of interest. Since it is impossible to start
a game with no first move, talk of strategy is
not very interesting.

- William Hughes

From: Tim Little on
On 2009-11-23, Herman Jurjus <hjmotz(a)hetnet.nl> wrote:
> http://possiblyphilosophy.wordpress.com/2008/09/22/guessing-the-result-of-infinitely-many-coin-tosses/

Yes; with weird premises of things like infinite supertasks and
decision-making with uncountably infinite amounts of information, AC
(among other things) implies some odd results.

> I'm not sure yet what to conclude from it; that AC is horribly
> wrong, or that WM is horribly right, or something else altogether.

I'd conclude that weird premises result in weird conclusions.

- Tim
From: Tim Little on
On 2009-11-23, William Hughes <wpihughes(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> If you could start the game with only a finite number of wrong
> guesses you are done. However, the game has no first move, so how
> do you start?

Indeed. That's one point where the premise is screwy to begin with.
The same paradox is much better expressed in the "prisoners and hats"
version. Although it has the same uncountably infinite information
load, at least it has a beginning.

- Tim