From: bunger on
Running XP Home
When I turn on the computer XP starts, get wallpaper with no icons, Welcome
chime then a few seconds later the exit chime and it goes to the Welcome
screen showing my Owner icon.
Click on Owner icon and it starts installing preferences and I get the
Welcome chime again, but it immediatly starts shutting down and I get the
Exit chime, then the message in the lower corner that it is safe to shutoff.

I have tried starting in Safe Mode and it does the same thing even though I
also have the Admin icon at the Welcome screen, it acts the same way starting
and immediatly shutting down using Admin or Owner icon.

I have also tried starting from last known good configuaration and it still
won't boot.

XP Home was preloaded on this machine and I do not have a startup disc.
I do have a copy of XP Pro if that might help.

Thanks, John
--
Don''t touch that knob !!!!
From: Leonard Grey on
Any clues at all about what might be the cause? Any recent changes to
your software or hardware, registry 'cleaners', other clean-up procedures?

Does Event Viewer provide any information?

Without more details from you, it's anyone's guess.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: bunger on
I had been getting a fake "anti virus needs updating" message for a few days.
I have McAfee thru my AT&T Yahoo account which I knew was fine, so I ran
Spybot Search & Destroy.
It found a bunch of things and I "Repaired" them. My machine seemed to run
fine after that, no more fake antivirus alerts. I ran it for a few days with
no problems but I hadn't shut it off completely until yesterday. When I went
to turn it on yesterday that is when this problem started.
I usually leave my machine on and only turn off and reboot about once a week.
--
Don''''t touch that knob !!!!

From: SC Tom on

"bunger" <bunger(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had been getting a fake "anti virus needs updating" message for a few
>days.
> I have McAfee thru my AT&T Yahoo account which I knew was fine, so I ran
> Spybot Search & Destroy.
> It found a bunch of things and I "Repaired" them. My machine seemed to run
> fine after that, no more fake antivirus alerts. I ran it for a few days
> with
> no problems but I hadn't shut it off completely until yesterday. When I
> went
> to turn it on yesterday that is when this problem started.
> I usually leave my machine on and only turn off and reboot about once a
> week.
> --
> Don''''t touch that knob !!!!
>

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Any clues at all about what might be the cause? Any recent changes to
>> your software or hardware, registry 'cleaners', other clean-up
>> procedures?
>>
>> Does Event Viewer provide any information?
>>
>> Without more details from you, it's anyone's guess.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> bunger wrote:
>> > Running XP Home
>> > When I turn on the computer XP starts, get wallpaper with no icons,
>> > Welcome
>> > chime then a few seconds later the exit chime and it goes to the
>> > Welcome
>> > screen showing my Owner icon.
>> > Click on Owner icon and it starts installing preferences and I get the
>> > Welcome chime again, but it immediatly starts shutting down and I get
>> > the
>> > Exit chime, then the message in the lower corner that it is safe to
>> > shutoff.
>> >
>> > I have tried starting in Safe Mode and it does the same thing even
>> > though I
>> > also have the Admin icon at the Welcome screen, it acts the same way
>> > starting
>> > and immediatly shutting down using Admin or Owner icon.
>> >
>> > I have also tried starting from last known good configuaration and it
>> > still
>> > won't boot.
>> >
>> > XP Home was preloaded on this machine and I do not have a startup disc.
>> > I do have a copy of XP Pro if that might help.
>> >
>> > Thanks, John
>> .

Sounds like you may still be infected with something. Download, install, and
run these two programs and see if they find anything:
MalwareBytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
and SuperAntiSpyware http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

You may have to do it in Safe Mode.
Let us know how things are after that, and if that took care of the problem.
--
SC Tom

From: bunger on

--