From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

> Jerry Avins <jya(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> (snip)
>

>>My tape deck is bidirectional. Normally, when the capstan motor is
>>reversed, another pair of heads (it's stereo) is used. Simple rewiring
>>can change that.
>
> I never had a bidirectional tape drive. Most now have a mechanically
> rotated head, which I might not trust to maintain alignment.

Neither did I. However my old cassette recorder could be forced into
play or record mode while doing rewind or fast forward. That allowed
recording something and then playing it in reverse. It was real funny to
read a text backwards into a mike, then invert the direction and listen
how it sounds. As the tape speed was much faster in those modes, I also
tried to record a video signal on the tape; not much luck.

VLV
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Jerry Avins <jya(a)ieee.org> wrote:
(snip, I wrote)

>> Reminds me of the series connected two switches and two light
>> bulbs, powered by 110VAC, where one switch controls one light,
>> and the other switch the other light.

> Using 55-volt bulbs?

No, they just aren't as bright as they otherwise would be.

Most don't notice that, though.

-- glen
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
(snip)

> Neither did I. However my old cassette recorder could be forced into
> play or record mode while doing rewind or fast forward. That allowed
> recording something and then playing it in reverse. It was real funny to
> read a text backwards into a mike, then invert the direction and listen
> how it sounds. As the tape speed was much faster in those modes, I also
> tried to record a video signal on the tape; not much luck.

You need about 120in/s. Also, they warm the heads to keep the
tape moving smoothly.

See: http://books.google.com/books?id=9SUDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA102

That is in 1965.

-- glen
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> (snip)

(snip on video recording on fast tape)

> You need about 120in/s. Also, they warm the heads to keep the
> tape moving smoothly.

> See: http://books.google.com/books?id=9SUDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA102

> That is in 1965.

Oops, I remembered wrong from 45 years ago. It runs at 180 ips.
My dad had a subscription to popular science from 1962, when
we moved to that house. There was a bookshelf where they were
stored, and I would often read the older (well, not so old) issues.

It was probably a few years after 1965 that I read that one.
About 1968 was when I started to build electronics projects,
some from Popular Science articles.

-- glen