From: Jack on
What type of antivirus software do people using 98 use now that Norton
and AVG no longer support 98? My 98 machine still outperforms my XP
significantly.
From: Sunny on

"Jack" <jplasater(a)NOSPAMjuno.com> wrote in message
> What type of antivirus software do people using 98 use now that Norton
> and AVG no longer support 98? My 98 machine still outperforms my XP
> significantly.

If you feel the need :
Avast (free) still supported on Win 98
(Just re-registered for 2010)
Spybot S & D works as well, and still being updated.

From: 98 Guy on
Jack wrote:

> I really like my 98 machine better than my xp machine. My only
> complaint is that my 98 machine is only a 433mz and is very slow
> in playing youtube videos. Do you know of any way to improve that?

For probably $250 you could purchase a used pc (probably off-lease) at
your local surplus electronics store and install win-98 on it (assuming
it was made no later than 2005 or 2006).

Or look on e-bay, kijiji or craig's list for a used PC that dates to the
2004 or 2005 time-frame (or 2003 if you want to be on the safe side).
I'm assuming you're looking for a desktop PC - not a laptop.

Any desktop PC made during that time-frame will be compatible with
windows 98. If you don't have a win-98 CD, it's readily available on a
torrent.

The best you can do with your existing machine is to add more RAM (bring
it up to 512 mb) and maybe change the CPU to a faster one.

> Also, I am using IE 6 and a number of web sites have said that
> they will not work on IE6 shortly. Any advice on that?

You should have abandoned IE6 2 or 3 years ago and switched to Firefox.
Why didn't you?

You need to download Firefox version 2.0.0.20. That's the last version
that is compatible with a "standard" installation of Win-98, and I
really haven't come across any web-site or web-content that can't be
viewed or rendered with that version if Firefox.
From: Franco on
I still use Win98 and Office 95 for my wife's PC. Here's a good free
antivirus: http://antivirus.comodo.com/
But if You have at least 256 M RAM AND 512M free on your HD or rampen,
please consider this: http://puppylinux.org/. It's as easy to use as
Win98, it's small (100 M including antivirus, firewall, office, video
and multimedia editors, and many others), it's incredibly speed and it
NEVER hangs. It can co-exist with win98, without any need to
re-partition HD.
For old PCs, please use a RETRO version.

From: Franco on
Sorry, perhaps I was still sleeping. Correct address is
http://www.clamwin.com/