From: Mike Prager on
Some of my software is used by beginning students. I've tried to make
learning simple by using the "quickwin" option (Intel Fortran) or the
equivalent "vsw" option in the Lahey compiler.

Those options make console program into a graphics-mode Windows
program that runs in a scollable console window. They also provide a
command-line argument when a data-file icon is dragged to the program
icon.

Now I'm retired, commercial compilers are looking expensive. I am
wondering if any free compiler has something like those options?

--
Mike Prager, NC, USA
(Remove pi from email to use)
From: baf on
On 5/4/2010 7:35 PM, Mike Prager wrote:
> Some of my software is used by beginning students. I've tried to make
> learning simple by using the "quickwin" option (Intel Fortran) or the
> equivalent "vsw" option in the Lahey compiler.
>
> Those options make console program into a graphics-mode Windows
> program that runs in a scollable console window. They also provide a
> command-line argument when a data-file icon is dragged to the program
> icon.
>
> Now I'm retired, commercial compilers are looking expensive. I am
> wondering if any free compiler has something like those options?
>
> --
> Mike Prager, NC, USA
> (Remove pi from email to use)

The Silverfrost compiler (for windows) has a similar feature when using
a freely available library. You can also create the same effect using
dislin's gui widgets (windows, linux, osx).

From: Mike Prager on
On Tue, 04 May 2010 22:43:00 -0700, baf <baf(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

[...]
>> Now I'm retired, commercial compilers are looking expensive. I am
>> wondering if any free compiler has something like those options?
>>
>The Silverfrost compiler (for windows) has a similar feature when using
>a freely available library. You can also create the same effect using
>dislin's gui widgets (windows, linux, osx).

Thanks. I'll check them out.
From: Jerry DeLisle on
On 05/04/2010 07:35 PM, Mike Prager wrote:
> Some of my software is used by beginning students. I've tried to make
> learning simple by using the "quickwin" option (Intel Fortran) or the
> equivalent "vsw" option in the Lahey compiler.
>
> Those options make console program into a graphics-mode Windows
> program that runs in a scollable console window. They also provide a
> command-line argument when a data-file icon is dragged to the program
> icon.

See http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran and use dislin with it. Also the geany
editor integrates well with gfortran as an IDE.

Regards,

Jerry