From: Bwig Zomberi on
Bwig Zomberi wrote:
> The best way is, as I mentioned, earlier is to use the functionality
> already provided by the browser to copy rich text, not RTF, into
> clipboard. And, get clipboard data pasted into Outlook.
>
> If required, you can write a custom Outlook Add-on to process this
> clipboard RTF data (in text). Add-On code will not be restricted, unlike
> browser security model.

Correction to 2nd Paragraph: If you want to copy RTF, not rich text,
then you need to write a custom Outlook Add-on to process clipboard text
RTF data. Add-On code will be restricted, unlike browser security model.

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Bwig Zomberi on
Bwig Zomberi wrote:
>> If required, you can write a custom Outlook Add-on to process this
>> clipboard RTF data (in text). Add-On code will not be restricted, unlike
>> browser security model.
>
> Correction to 2nd Paragraph: If you want to copy RTF, not rich text,
> then you need to write a custom Outlook Add-on to process clipboard text
> RTF data. Add-On code will be restricted, unlike browser security model.

Correction to correction: .... Add-on cod will *not* be restricted,

From: galactic on
On Mar 29, 1:19 pm, Bwig Zomberi <zomberiMAPSONNOS...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> Bwig Zomberi wrote:
> >> If required, you can write a custom Outlook Add-on to process this
> >> clipboard RTF data (in text). Add-On code will not be restricted, unlike
> >> browser security model.
>
> > Correction to 2nd Paragraph: If you want to copy RTF, not rich text,
> > then you need to write a custom Outlook Add-on to process clipboard text
> > RTF data. Add-On code will  be restricted, unlike browser security model.
>
> Correction to correction: .... Add-on cod will *not* be restricted,
> unlike browser security model.
>
> --
>   Bwig Zomberi

Bwig,

I can't use any add-on - basically the business requirement was that
someone be able to goto a business page, click and copy a vanity URL
(somedomain.com/fruitflies/) but actually take a tracking variable
with it so we know who actually used it...(somedomain.com/fruitflies/
index.htm?vanity=1)and let them paste that directly into their outlook
signature - which only seems to accept rtf (maybe word version)... I
have seen it done without any add on's at pratyatosa.com/
DiacriticsConverter.htm... This page seems to be able to create rtf
into the clipboard with no add ons...

What I really want to say is Thank you so much no matter what for your
attention to this blog... It is nice to get some reaction...

-Galactic
From: Bwig Zomberi on
galactic wrote:

> Bwig,
>
> I can't use any add-on - basically the business requirement was that
> someone be able to goto a business page, click and copy a vanity URL
> (somedomain.com/fruitflies/) but actually take a tracking variable
> with it so we know who actually used it...(somedomain.com/fruitflies/
> index.htm?vanity=1)and let them paste that directly into their outlook
> signature - which only seems to accept rtf (maybe word version)... I
> have seen it done without any add on's at pratyatosa.com/
> DiacriticsConverter.htm... This page seems to be able to create rtf
> into the clipboard with no add ons...

I do not have Outlook 2003. I installed Outlook 2010 Beta. The signature
box in this version accepts any content copied using "Copy" and "Copy
shortcut" menu options of IE.

I went to http://pratyatosa.com/DiacriticsConverter.htm but did not find
the link that copied RTF to clipboard.

I wrote the following web page code to simulate the behavior of your
"somedomain.com/fruitflies/index.htm?vanity=1". That also works with the
signature box.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<head>
<title></title>
<script type="text/javascript" >
function changeLink(oLink) {
oLink.outerHTML = "<a href=\"http://www.example.com/index.htm?id=" +
Math.random() + "\">Outlook Link</a>";
}
</script>
</head>

onmouseover="changeLink(this);">Outlook Link</a>

You could replace Math.random with getCookie of a unique tracking cookie
value set by your server.

--
Bwig Zomberi