From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 17:17:44 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net>
wrote:

>Where or who is generating this error? Is is definitely your App (ie,
>a VB report) or something from the O/S?

Yes, definitely my VB6 exe, they sent me a screen shot and you can see
my VB6 exe name in the title of the Application Error msg box.

>Ie, what does your App do?
>Hiccup or come crashing down?

All you can do is click OK to terminate the program so it crashes.
Mind you it does do a few things before crashing. But it could be
crashing at the point where it copies down files.

>What happens afterwards?

The program crashes so nothing more can happen.

>What do the logs show?

I've asked.

>Also perhaps you are getting 'scapegoated' - is your App the only
>thing demonstrating odd behavior? If so then it could very well be
>that your App is responsible, otherwise it may only be your App
>violently exercises some otherwise obscure device.

Absolutely.

>I hate guessing before all the facts are in, but who does? Very much
>like 'pre-optimizing' as you never actually know where the bottlenecks
>are until you run the numbers. Your primary fact-finder is WinDbg and
>the logs.
>
>WinDbg installs on a production box with minimum impact*. Not like the
>problems associated with installing say VB or VS, or even installing
>and running a verbose debug version of your app. Run as a JIT debugger
>and you should get some good clues.

Hmm, I'll have to check this out.

>I'm assuming the client is remote. Hopefully you have some
>knowledgeable people on site, or you probably have to catch a plane.

Not going to catch a plane unless they pay me in advance. <smile>
Which isn't going to happen of course. This is sort of a shrink wrap
app.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP