From: Mark F on
Is there free service that will call a phone number when I get an
email?

I think that my phone (a Droid MOTA855) will last longer between
charges if it doesn't have to check for email. (I'm assuming that
the built-in Verizon Droid eMail application checks for email or
uses additional power just sitting there waiting for email.)

I already have my email go through a forwarding service and I
could add another real email address to the forwarded-to list
if there were some email domain that would automatically call me
if I got an email.

Is there a better group for this question?

Thanks.
From: Ray Abbitt on
In article <qrvh46t8ncnmbuhg9khh9rqtvs2vlp0b38(a)4ax.com>,
Mark F <mark53916(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Is there free service that will call a phone number when I get an
>email?

You can send the email to <yourcellphonenumber>@vtext.com and you will
receive the email as a text message. It will probably be split up into
multiple text messages due to limitations in the length of a text
message though.

>I think that my phone (a Droid MOTA855) will last longer between
>charges if it doesn't have to check for email. (I'm assuming that
>the built-in Verizon Droid eMail application checks for email or
>uses additional power just sitting there waiting for email.)

Another alternative is to forward all of your email to a gmail account
and set the Droid to use the gmail account. Gmail notifies your Droid
when mail is received rather than having the Droid check for mail.

>Is there a better group for this question?

Probably, but the above information should take care of your problem.

-ray