From: Nathan on
Yes, though it can be high I/O depending on the table here is a workaround i found for it.

Select *
into #temp
from table

alter table #temp drop column column_name

Select *
from #temp

Ken wrote:

Any way to select all fields except 1?
29-Jun-07

Is there a way to select all fields from a table except one without
specifing every field?

Example:

Select
U.*,
-U.Birthday (psuedo code)
From
Users U
Where
FirstName = 'Bill'

Or could I select it into a Cursor or something and then slice off the
fields I don't want?

Thanks!

Pierce

On Friday, June 29, 2007 10:50 AM
Ken wrote:

Any way to select all fields except 1?
Is there a way to select all fields from a table except one without
specifing every field?

Example:

Select
U.*,
-U.Birthday (psuedo code)
From
Users U
Where
FirstName = 'Bill'

Or could I select it into a Cursor or something and then slice off the
fields I don't want?

Thanks!

Pierce

On Friday, June 29, 2007 10:57 AM
Russell Fields wrote:

Ken,Naturally (as you know) there is no column subtractor syntax, so you will
Ken,

Naturally (as you know) there is no column subtractor syntax, so you will
need to specify the columns you want. But, to make it easier, from the
Management Studio (or Query Analyzer, depending on SQL version) Object
Explorer window, select the table's Columns node and drag to the query
window. That will copy all the column names is. Then delete the one column
that you do not want.

RLF
"Ken" <notreal(a)oisudfoaijweflksjflikasjdfoiweflkasdjf.com> wrote in message

On Friday, June 29, 2007 10:59 AM
Tom Moreau wrote:

In SSMS, just drag the Columns folder of your table from the Object Explorer
In SSMS, just drag the Columns folder of your table from the Object Explorer
into your query window. Then, just delete the unwanted column from the
query.

--
Tom

Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCITP, MCTS
SQL Server MVP
Toronto, ON Canada
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom.Moreau

"Ken" <notreal(a)oisudfoaijweflksjflikasjdfoiweflkasdjf.com> wrote in message
Is there a way to select all fields from a table except one without
specifing every field?

Example:

Select
U.*,
-U.Birthday (psuedo code)
From
Users U
Where
FirstName = 'Bill'

Or could I select it into a Cursor or something and then slice off the
fields I don't want?

Thanks!

Pierce

On Friday, June 29, 2007 11:00 AM
Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP] wrote:

Why would you want to do that?
Why would you want to do that? Can't you just drag the columns node from
Object Explorer, which will give you a comma-separated list of column names
that you can prune.

No.

On Friday, June 29, 2007 12:09 PM
Ken wrote:

Thanks for the tip.
Thanks for the tip. I have never used a graphical interface for writing
stored procedures, always done it by hand in VisualStudio.Net.

I will have to check out the Management Studio.

SharePoint List Usage and Statistics
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/892bae83-5b96-4275-95fd-9723a79fdb14/sharepoint-list-usage-and.aspx
From: bill on
The only downside of drag and drop is that puts all the columns on a
single line, which I don' like. Well designed tables generally don't
have many columns, so reformatting isn't much of a time sync.

However, many commercial apps have poorly designed tables with
literally hundreds of columns. It's a pain to reformat the single
giant list to a "one column on each line" format.

This query will help:
SELECT
',' + COLUMN_NAME + ''
FROM
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
WHERE TABLE_NAME = '<mytable>'

It will make a list like this:

,COLUMN_ONE
,COLOUMN_TWO
,COLUMN_THREE

etc.

Just knock the leading comma off the first row and you're ready to go.

Thanks,

Bill