From: Harold Fuchs on
I've just found something called CompanionLink
(http://www.companionlink.com/) which claims to be able to synchronise
several different PC applications with many different smartphones/PDAs. In
particular it claims to be able to sync an iPhone or iPod Touch with Palm
Desktop. It claims to do calendar, contacts, tasks and notes. One method of
syncing is via WiFi.and does *not* use the cloud, although there are other
options that do.

Has anyone tried this? Does it really work as well as Palm's HotSync?

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

From: kronhead on
I realize this doesn't match your Apple environment - but I use
CompanionLink on my Android phone, and it works pretty well. The
Android version is pretty new, and doesn't have WiFi yet - you have to
use a USB cable - and there are some other pending enhancements needed
- but support gas been good, and new versions have been pretty
frequent.

There is another product - Missing Sync from markspace.com - that does
do WiFi (supposedly) - but I have no experience with them at all.

Dan

From: Harold Fuchs on
Thanks. I'm in the process of installing the trial version of CompanionLink
on my Vista laptop and the corresponding app on my iTouch. Then we'll see. I
*think* I may have found an upgrade path from Palm m515 that doesn't require
the cloud or Outlook. The eternal optimist ...

I don't think Missing Sync is for me as, on Windows, it syncs to Outlook
which I don't have (or want to have). CompanionLink syncs to Palm Desktop
which I think is pretty good - it's served me well since 2003 and still does
all I need from a PIM.

Regards, Harold

From: drruth2 on
On Jul 11, 11:52 am, "Harold Fuchs" <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> I've just found something called CompanionLink
> (http://www.companionlink.com/) which claims to be able to synchronise
> several different PC applications with many different smartphones/PDAs. In
> particular it claims to be able to sync an iPhone or iPod Touch with Palm
> Desktop. It claims to do calendar, contacts, tasks and notes. One method of
> syncing is via WiFi.and does *not* use the cloud, although there are other
> options that do.
>
> Has anyone tried this? Does it really work as well as Palm's HotSync?
>
> --
> Harold Fuchs
> London, England

I indicated in another thread that I have tried CompanionLink, Missing
Sync for PalmPre (MarkSpace) and the HotSync. CompanionLink is pretty
robust in synchronization w/ the calendar in the Pre and with either
Outlook, Outlook Express, or the Desktop by Access desktop calendars.
It permits quite of bit of specification. I sync via the USB cable.

Missing Sync will accommodate calendar, notes, tasks via wi-fi and
ringtones, music, video, and files via USB. I've gotten the USB part
to work but have managed to get some pairing keys wrong for wi-fi and
haven't sorted that through as yet. Downside to Missing Sync is you
have to download three apps to your Pre, the Missing Sync, and Fliq
Notes, Fliq Tasks. This means that it is forcing things to migrate
away from the Palm OS environment.

For now I intend to stick with the Palm OS as I as sure that is not
migrating out to the cloud.
From: Harold Fuchs on

"drruth2" <dennis.ruth(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
>On Jul 11, 11:52 am, "Harold Fuchs" <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>> I've just found something called CompanionLink
>> (http://www.companionlink.com/) which claims to be able to synchronise
>> several different PC applications with many different smartphones/PDAs.
>> In
>> particular it claims to be able to sync an iPhone or iPod Touch with Palm
>> Desktop. It claims to do calendar, contacts, tasks and notes. One method
>> of
>> syncing is via WiFi.and does *not* use the cloud, although there are
>> other
>> options that do.
>>
>> Has anyone tried this? Does it really work as well as Palm's HotSync?
>>
>> --
>> Harold Fuchs
>> London, England

>I indicated in another thread that I have tried CompanionLink, Missing
>Sync for PalmPre (MarkSpace) and the HotSync. CompanionLink is pretty
>robust in synchronization w/ the calendar in the Pre and with either
>Outlook, Outlook Express, or the Desktop by Access desktop calendars.
>It permits quite of bit of specification. I sync via the USB cable.

>Missing Sync will accommodate calendar, notes, tasks via wi-fi and
>ringtones, music, video, and files via USB. I've gotten the USB part
>to work but have managed to get some pairing keys wrong for wi-fi and
>haven't sorted that through as yet. Downside to Missing Sync is you
>have to download three apps to your Pre, the Missing Sync, and Fliq
>Notes, Fliq Tasks. This means that it is forcing things to migrate
>away from the Palm OS environment.

>For now I intend to stick with the Palm OS as I as sure that is not
>migrating out to the cloud.

I have now tried CompanionLink with my Palm m515. This seems to work quite
well. My only (initial) difficulty was that my Palm data is stored in Palm
Desktop 4.1 format and I installed 6.2, which uses a different format, on my
laptop to test with. The CompanionLink support group was very responsive and
helpful and quickly came up with a simple solution. Excellent.

However, I won't be buying the product because the accompanying iTouch app
(DejaOffice) is so immature. It can't do simple things that (a) I rely on
and (b) were in Palm's software from day 1 nearly 10 years ago. Just a few
examples, in no particular order:
1. Can't search the calendar so can't ask "when did I last see Joe?" or
"when is my next dentist appointment?".
2. Can't attach alarms to tasks (this wasn't actually in the original Palm
software but I've used ToDo2 for so long ...)
3. Can't set the day length to only show, for example, from 8am to 8pm
*unless* there are appointments outside these times. The problem here is
that you nearly always have to scroll the day view.
4. In day view it doesn't show what day it is (Monday? Thursday?) so if you
are looking at something in the past or in the future you have no idea what
sort of a day that appointment is/was for.
5. Many (most) of the settings available on the Palm simply aren't there in
DejaOffice, for example the default time before an appointment for the
alarm.
6. The general use of screen "real estate" is very poor, much worse than
Palm's even though the Palm's screen resolution is only 160x160 compared to
the iTouch's 320x480 on roughly the same sized screen.

In general I get the impression that DejaOffice was written by people who
have never actually used any sort of electronic PIM. Why is it that I keep
being surprised that software developers "now" make the same design mistakes
we made 10, 15, 20 years ago? Ho hum.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England