From: laredotornado on
Hi,

I have one of these magnetic stripe readers hooked up to my computer
via USB. I was wondering if anyone has any Javascript they use to
parse out the input from one of these devices into credit card number,
expiration year, month, and so on.

Thanks for any advice, - Dave

From: Ivan Marsh on
laredotornado wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have one of these magnetic stripe readers hooked up to my computer
> via USB. I was wondering if anyone has any Javascript they use to
> parse out the input from one of these devices into credit card number,
> expiration year, month, and so on.
>
> Thanks for any advice, - Dave

Isn't the output from the device already parsed out by the device to what
ever standard output it uses?

--
"All right, all right, if it will make you happy, I will overthrow society."
  - Philip J. Fry
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message
<56b98b33-7f43-4017-9df1-940f95fecb91(a)k18g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 09:59:49, laredotornado <laredotornado(a)zipmail.com>
posted

>I have one of these magnetic stripe readers hooked up to my computer
>via USB. I was wondering if anyone has any Javascript they use to
>parse out the input from one of these devices into credit card number,
>expiration year, month, and so on.

Presumably you have a way to get the information as a character string
that JavaScript can read. I think I know how it can be done in a
browser, but you may have a better way.

There should be a standard covering the text format in question. Post a
link to it here, post a few example strings with their interpretation,
and you may get more answers.

ASIDE TO ALL
I am currently using a different computer, with an imperfectly
matching setup and few kill rules; it does not know the
"history" of the other one. You may notice effects of this.

(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.07 IE 8
From: Joe on
http://www.acmetech.com/documentation/javascript/parse_magnetic_track_javascript.html