From: Wonky on

I've got a LAN behind a firewall, on 192.168/16; the DMZ side of the
firewall has address 192.168.10.20 (say), and the internet side has
123.4.56.78 (say). Someone sends a message to user@[123.4.56.78]; the
filewall (with port 25 open) lets it through, but sendmail, not
recognising the IP as either a local IP or local domain, rejects it,
thinking it's a relay request.

How do I convince sendmail that email sent to user@[123.4.56.78]
should go to user(a)localhost? I've tried adding things like
@[123.4.56.78] %1(a)localhost
to files like /etc/mail/{virtus,mail}ertable, but it's still rejected.

TIA
From: pirovano on
sendmail doesn't like ip per default.
it accepts names from /etc/hosts like root(a)localhost for local
accounts.

any other names, domains AND ip-addresses that are ment to be local
you can put into local-host-names.

regards,

lorenzo pirovano
From: Wonky on
On Jul 9, 10:11 pm, pirovano <pirov...(a)pirovano.ch> wrote:
> sendmail doesn't like ip per default.
> it accepts names from /etc/hosts like root(a)localhost for local
> accounts.
>
> any other names, domains AND ip-addresses that are ment to be local
> you can put into local-host-names.
>
> regards,
>
> lorenzo pirovano

Thank you. That worked (and I've been driving myself crazy trying to
figure out how to do it!)

Wonky
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Wonky <annms5170(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a LAN behind a firewall, on 192.168/16; the DMZ side of the
> firewall has address 192.168.10.20 (say), and the internet side has
> 123.4.56.78 (say). Someone sends a message to user@[123.4.56.78]; the
> filewall (with port 25 open) lets it through, but sendmail, not
> recognising the IP as either a local IP or local domain, rejects it,
> thinking it's a relay request.
>
> How do I convince sendmail that email sent to user@[123.4.56.78]
> should go to user(a)localhost? I've tried adding things like
> @[123.4.56.78] %1(a)localhost
> to files like /etc/mail/{virtus,mail}ertable, but it's still rejected.

Have you tried to add [123.4.56.78] to sendmail's list of local email domains?

The procedure is described (among other things) at
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4#4.5

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
The world has many unintentionally cruel mechanisms that are not