From: klee12 on
Hello,

I got an Apple iPod for Christmas, and I wonder if it is possible to
transfer MP3 files to the iPod. I'm running Slackware 10.0 presently. I
plugged the iPod into the USB port, boot up the computer, and when I do
a mount command it says

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

so it looks like slackware knows the iPod exits. But I want to know
what I am doing. I couldn't find any information on the iPod in HOWTOs.
I would rather not have to reboot to Windows XP and use the software
supplied with the iPod.

1. Can I write files to the iPod and delete files from the iPod within
Slackware.?

2. Can I use the iPod as a file transfer device, i.e. store and
rectrieve tar files on it.

Thanks in advance

klee12

From: Old Man on
klee12 wrote:

> 1. Can I write files to the iPod and delete files from the iPod within
> Slackware.?

Yes. There is an ioslave for KDE.
http://kpod.sourceforge.net/ipodslave/
Works pretty well, except, as they warn, the "synchronize" (update ipod
database) feature is not completely reliable.

> 2. Can I use the iPod as a file transfer device, i.e. store and
> rectrieve tar files on it.

Haven't tried that, but don't see why not.

--
Old Man
From: Joost Kremers on
klee12 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got an Apple iPod for Christmas, and I wonder if it is possible to
> transfer MP3 files to the iPod. I'm running Slackware 10.0 presently. I
> plugged the iPod into the USB port, boot up the computer, and when I do
> a mount command it says
>
> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
>
> so it looks like slackware knows the iPod exits.

hardly. usbfs is a pseudo filesystem created by the kernel to provide
information about the usb system. i don't know what mount command you gave,
but it doesn't appear to have to do much with the ipod.

i don't have an ipod, so i can't really help you any further. googling for
'ipod linux' or 'mount ipod linux' brings up mainly older pages...

assuming your usb system works under linux, plug in the ipod, wait a few
seconds and then type 'dmesg' in a terminal window. if the ipod is
recognised, there should be a message there. 'tail /var/log/messages' (as
root) is also a good way to check what the computer is recognising.

--
Joost Kremers joostkremers(a)yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)
From: dez on
I've been using my 4th gen ipod on slack for a year now, and i've had
no problems at all. I use gtkpod which you can find as a slack pack
that I probably submitted on linuxpackages.net. As far as using it to
also store files, sure .. .that works too ... i do the same with mine.
If you need help getting it going, just let me know, it's a simple
matter and i think i wrote up a quick how to about it that's sitting
somewhere on my hard drive.

-dez

From: William Park on
klee12 <klee12(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got an Apple iPod for Christmas,

Me too. :-)

> and I wonder if it is possible to
> transfer MP3 files to the iPod. I'm running Slackware 10.0 presently. I
> plugged the iPod into the USB port, boot up the computer, and when I do
> a mount command it says
>
> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
>
> so it looks like slackware knows the iPod exits.

That's for USB in general. It's has nothing to do with iPod
specifically.

> But I want to know
> what I am doing. I couldn't find any information on the iPod in HOWTOs.
> I would rather not have to reboot to Windows XP and use the software
> supplied with the iPod.

To use iPod as USB harddisk, you don't need Windows. But, this iPod
thing is designed to go through iTunes and its database. There is
'gtkpod', but it doesn't rip the CD and convert to AAC/MP3/WAV. No
problem, because you can do that manually beforehand. But, still,
iTunes simply does it for you.

> 1. Can I write files to the iPod and delete files from the iPod within
> Slackware.?

Yes. You need 'usb-storage' support, and everything that goes with it.
In other words, if you can mount USB key drives and USB harddisk, then
you can mount iPod.
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/ipod

> 2. Can I use the iPod as a file transfer device, i.e. store and
> rectrieve tar files on it.

Yes, see above.

--
William Park <opengeometry(a)yahoo.ca>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell