From: David Miller on
From: KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro(a)jp.fujitsu.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 15:03:45 +0900 (JST)

> I'm not against changing kernel internal. I only disagree mmu
> attribute fashion will be become used widely.

Desktop already uses similar features via PCI mmap
attributes and such, not to mention MSR settings on
x86.

So I disagree with your assesment that this is some
HPC/embedded issue.
From: KOSAKI Motohiro on
> From: KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro(a)jp.fujitsu.com>
> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 15:03:45 +0900 (JST)
>
> > I'm not against changing kernel internal. I only disagree mmu
> > attribute fashion will be become used widely.
>
> Desktop already uses similar features via PCI mmap
> attributes and such, not to mention MSR settings on
> x86.

Probably I haven't catch your mention. Why userland process
need to change PCI mmap attribute by mmap(2)? It seems kernel issue.

From: David Miller on
From: KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro(a)jp.fujitsu.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 16:14:29 +0900 (JST)

>> From: KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro(a)jp.fujitsu.com>
>> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 15:03:45 +0900 (JST)
>>
>> > I'm not against changing kernel internal. I only disagree mmu
>> > attribute fashion will be become used widely.
>>
>> Desktop already uses similar features via PCI mmap
>> attributes and such, not to mention MSR settings on
>> x86.
>
> Probably I haven't catch your mention. Why userland process
> need to change PCI mmap attribute by mmap(2)? It seems kernel issue.

It uses PCI specific fd ioctls to change the attributes.

It's the same thing as extending the mmap() attribute space, but in a
device specific way.

I think evice and platform specific mmap() attributes are basically
inevitable, at any level, embedded or desktop or whatever. The
fact that we've hacked around the issue with device specific
interfaces like the PCI device ioctls, is no excuse to not
tackle the issue directly and come up with something usable.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt on
On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 00:03 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > I'm not against changing kernel internal. I only disagree mmu
> > attribute fashion will be become used widely.
>
> Desktop already uses similar features via PCI mmap
> attributes and such, not to mention MSR settings on
> x86.

This is a very good point, we've had all sort of trouble hacking that in
for PCI mmap, between trying to get write combine in, which we got
on /proc via a tweak I think we never got over to sysfs, and the ability
to control cachability, for which we used to have O_SYNC hacks
in /dev/mem, I think there is room for some nice and clean set of
attributes here.

Cheers,
Ben.