From: Teflon on
Yesterday, after running a Secunia PSI scan on XP Pro SP3 machine, I
decided to get rid of the unpatchable Adobe Reader 9.3.3 and go with
Fox It. Also updated an old installation of Opera with the latest and
greatest. I diligently read all of the Custom options as I installed
each, and opted out of the toolbars, etc. offered.

However, after all was installed, I noticed an eBay icon on the
desktop that I had not put there. Checked the icon's properties and
it was a pointer to something besides eBay - www.adon-demand.de/red/2303/.
Did a Search on my machine and found there were several more
appearances of that pointer, one in the files associated with the Fox
It download and one with the Opera files.

A Google search produced some accounts of this pointer being
downloaded with the Unlocker app.

I'm just wondering if any one else has had a similar experience with
these, or other freeware apps, and what, if any, harm they did or can
do?

Will be interested in your experiences, comments, actions and visceral
opinions of the miscreants who so vilely disrespect their supporters.
From: Bear Bottoms on
On Aug 9, 2:05 pm, Teflon <spambaitmeis...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday, after running a Secunia PSI scan on XP Pro SP3 machine, I
> decided to get rid of the unpatchable Adobe Reader 9.3.3 and go with
> Fox It.  Also updated an old installation of Opera with the latest and
> greatest. I diligently read all of the Custom options as I installed
> each, and opted out of the toolbars, etc. offered.
>
> However, after all was installed, I noticed an eBay icon on the
> desktop that I had not put there.  Checked the icon's properties and
> it was a pointer to something besides eBay -www.adon-demand.de/red/2303/.
> Did a Search on my machine and found there were several more
> appearances of that pointer, one in the files associated with the Fox
> It download and one with the Opera files.
>
> A Google search produced some accounts of this pointer being
> downloaded with the Unlocker app.
>
> I'm just wondering if any one else has had a similar experience with
> these, or other freeware apps, and what, if any, harm they did or can
> do?
>
> Will be interested in your experiences, comments, actions and visceral
> opinions of the miscreants who so vilely disrespect their supporters.

The answer is yup!
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Teflon" <spambaitmeister(a)gmail.com>

| Yesterday, after running a Secunia PSI scan on XP Pro SP3 machine, I
| decided to get rid of the unpatchable Adobe Reader 9.3.3 and go with
| Fox It. Also updated an old installation of Opera with the latest and
| greatest. I diligently read all of the Custom options as I installed
| each, and opted out of the toolbars, etc. offered.

| However, after all was installed, I noticed an eBay icon on the
| desktop that I had not put there. Checked the icon's properties and
| it was a pointer to something besides eBay - www.adon-demand.de/red/2303/.
| Did a Search on my machine and found there were several more
| appearances of that pointer, one in the files associated with the Fox
| It download and one with the Opera files.

| A Google search produced some accounts of this pointer being
| downloaded with the Unlocker app.

| I'm just wondering if any one else has had a similar experience with
| these, or other freeware apps, and what, if any, harm they did or can
| do?

| Will be interested in your experiences, comments, actions and visceral
| opinions of the miscreants who so vilely disrespect their supporters.

I'm sorry -- Where is the malware ?
You ask if FoxIt and Opera are known to be malwrae distributers (and you state that ONLY
in the subject and failed to put that in the body of your post) and fail to provide and
information or evidence of "malware".

Neither FoxIt or Opera are know to distribute malware!

--
Dave