From: Casey Hawthorne on
Are there recommended books on computational geometry and polyhedral
combinatorics?

In Volume 4 fascicles of TAoCP, Knuth says he is better at visualizing
and manipulating algebraic formulas than objects in space, which
relies on geometrical intuition.

Are there other areas of combinatorics not covered by algebraic,
geometric, and polyhedral combinatorics?
--
Regards,
Casey
From: tchow on
In article <rsuvi5lnklkt7us2kthc4cd16vio6jg9je(a)4ax.com>,
Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME(a)istar.ca> wrote:
>Are there recommended books on computational geometry and polyhedral
>combinatorics?

There are subdisciplines here with very different flavors.

For what I think you're looking for, I recommend that you check out any
book with Janos Pach as a co-author.

If you're more interested in combinatorial optimization, then you may want
to look at books by Schrijver and/or Lovasz.

If you're more interested in enumerative problems related to polytopes,
and connections to algebraic geometry and topology, then you might check
out the IAS/Park City volume on "Geometric Combinatorics" by Miller et al.

>Are there other areas of combinatorics not covered by algebraic,
>geometric, and polyhedral combinatorics?

The first thing to come to mind is extremal combinatorics. This has quite a
different flavor from the areas you mentioned. I mean things like Ramsey
theory, Turan-type problems, etc.

I still think of graph theory and design theory as being combinatorics,
though they are practically their own separate disciplines nowadays.

Combinatorics does not neatly partition into disjoint subsets. Enumerative
combinatorics and probabilistic methods, for example, permeate all areas of
combinatorics. If you have not read it already, I recommend Tim Gowers's
article on "The Two Cultures of Mathematics." It explains how combinatorics
is often characterized more by *methodology* than by *theory*.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will