From: Erwin on
Hey,

Let me set up what I'm trying to do. I have 3 columns with the
following data.

A: 10, 20, 30
B: X, Y, Z

C: 28, 8, 1

Now, I have a last column, D, which I'm trying to figure out the
correct formula for.
I want D to return the following:
Look at column A, find the smallest number that's greater than the
adjacent cell in column C, and then return the adjacent cell in column
B.

So, in this example, column D should read:
D: Z, X, X

I can't figure this out. I think it has to do with arrays, but I'm not
too sure. If anyone has any insight on how to accomplish this, I would
really appreciate it. Thanks so much!
From: Jacob Skaria on
Hi Erwin

Try the below in cell D1 and copy down as required.

Please note that this is an array formula. You create array formulas in the
same way that you create other formulas, except you press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to
enter the formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar' you can notice the curly
braces at both ends like "{=<formula>}"

=VLOOKUP(SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$10>C1,$A$1:$A$10),1),$A$1:$B$10,2,0)

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)