From: dpb on
Tom Shelton wrote:
> It happens that dpb formulated :
>> Tom Shelton wrote:
>>
>>> It's funny, but I can't think of any statically compiled language
>>> that implements array slice functionality. It's seem to only be in
>>> the dynamic languages - Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.....
>>
>> Fortran for at least one...requires F90+, but that's now the norm and
>> is 20+ years old now...
>
> Ok... There's one. I'm not familar with fortran :)

Oh, I see somehow I lost the last of the posting after I inserted the
examples of Fortran syntax...

Add Ada and PL/I for others...

Still don't see why it was never added into VB.

From: Tom Shelton on
dpb has brought this to us :
> Tom Shelton wrote:
>> It happens that dpb formulated :

>>> Fortran for at least one...requires F90+, but that's now the norm and is
>>> 20+ years old now...
>>
>> Ok... There's one. I'm not familar with fortran :)
>>

> Oh, I see somehow I lost the last of the posting after I inserted the
> examples of Fortran syntax...
>
> Add Ada and PL/I for others...

Oh, yeah... forgot about ada. Been a few years since I touched that.
And even then, I was only playing :) And, I fogot - but Pascal
supports it as well. So, I take it back :) There are some statically
compiled languages that do it... That wasn't to imply that they
couldn't by the way, just that I couldn't think of any of the top.

> Still don't see why it was never added into VB.

It would be a nice feature. I use it all the time when I was doing
Perl full time :) I think I'll have to implement a collection in C#
that does support it...

--
Tom Shelton

From: dpb on
Tom Shelton wrote:

> It would be a nice feature. I use it all the time when I was doing Perl
> full time :) I think I'll have to implement a collection in C# that
> does support it...

Why not use Fortran instead and get it for essentially free as well as
concordant storage order?

(smirk...)

From: Tom Shelton on
dpb submitted this idea :
> Tom Shelton wrote:
>
>> It would be a nice feature. I use it all the time when I was doing Perl
>> full time :) I think I'll have to implement a collection in C# that does
>> support it...
>
> Why not use Fortran instead and get it for essentially free as well as
> concordant storage order?
>
> (smirk...)

Well... I suppose I could :)

--