From: Cathy on
I want to create a "generic" mailbox for several users to send
messages on behalf of. I know how to configure this and set it so the
users can view the mailbox. My problem is sometimes they will want a
rule set up to reply to specific messages (for example a secretary
sends out mass emails but wants the recipient to reply to their
particular representative not the generic email address). How can I
have the delegate set up a rule in the inbox so those messages that
match the subject line receive a reply telling them to contact their
representative.

Since multiple people will be sending on behalf of the generic mailbox
I do not want them to have login rights. When you go to set the rule,
it is applied to your inbox and not that of the mailbox where they are
delegates of.

I also tried doing this with a public folder instead (setting up a
reply using a template), however they will want to do mail merges
therefore the public folder solution will not work.

I do not want them contacting the help desk everytime they need to
apply a new rule to the account, but I can't figure out another way.

I am using Exchange 2003 (we'll be upgrading to 2010 this summer so I
want this solution to carry over) and Outlook 2007. Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
From: Peter Durkee on
You can only create rules for the mailbox you are logged into. You can,
however, give anyone who will be creating rules for the shared mailbox an
Outlook profile that points to the shared mailbox, and turn on that setting
where they are asked, when Outlook starts, which profile to use. That way
they can just exit from Outlook, restart it, choose the shared mailbox,
fiddle with the rules, and exit again to get back to their own mailbox.

-Peter