From: Bob on
I've been asked to assist with a D-Link DWL-2700A access point at a RV
park. The owners are unhappy with the company that installed the unit
and would like to sever their relationship. Thus, I was preparing to
make a configuration manual (via screen shots) of the setup for their
records. I believe the default IP address was changed to 192.168.0.2.
However, attempting to login to the WEB interface from a Vista machine
(wired connection or wireless) is not successful (Page not found
error). I downloaded a setup program from D-Link. It finds the
access point (when a wired connection is used, but not wireless) but
will not permit access with the password that was given to the park
owner.

The owner suspects that the company changed the password the last time
they were on site without telling the owner. Job Security! The
password to the phone company DSL modem also doesn't work -- that one
we can get back by reseting the modem.

The downloaded manual says there is a reset button, however the D-Link
WEB site indicates the only way to reset is via the WEB interface. In
my case that is a chatch-22. The unit is mounted on a pole on the
roof, so it not readily accessable. Read that: "I don't want to climb
up on the roof if I don't have to."

Any hints as to gaining access would be appreciated. TIA
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:32:08 GMT, Bob <rmiers(a)pinalinternet.net>
wrote:

>I've been asked to assist with a D-Link DWL-2700A access point at a RV
>park.

Not too horrible a unit. It should work.
<http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=303>

Practice on the emulator before you destroy something:
<http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dwl2700ap_revb/html/index.htm>

>The owners are unhappy with the company that installed the unit
>and would like to sever their relationship.

Ah yes. The divorce ceremony. Wear safety glasses and a helmet.

>Thus, I was preparing to
>make a configuration manual (via screen shots) of the setup for their
>records. I believe the default IP address was changed to 192.168.0.2.
>However, attempting to login to the WEB interface from a Vista machine
>(wired connection or wireless) is not successful (Page not found
>error). I downloaded a setup program from D-Link. It finds the
>access point (when a wired connection is used, but not wireless) but
>will not permit access with the password that was given to the park
>owner.

The device is an access point, not a router. Access points do
bridging (IP layer 2) and NOT routing (IP layer 3). You will not see
the access point's IP address in any traffic that is not specifically
directed at the access point.

My guess(tm) it was left at the default IP of 192.168.0.10. Try it.

>The owner suspects that the company changed the password the last time
>they were on site without telling the owner. Job Security! The
>password to the phone company DSL modem also doesn't work -- that one
>we can get back by reseting the modem.

I do that even to my best customers. All of them seem to have friends
and relatives that are hackers. If I'm expected to guarantee reliable
service, I also have to protect the system against friends and
relatives as well as hackers.

The password to your unspecified model DSL modem is usually printed on
the bottom of the modem. If it's an AT&T system, which uses
SpeedSteam 4100 DSL modems, the password can be changed. However, you
will need to reset the modem to defaults in order to use the printed
password. Perhaps it would helpful if you would kindly describe the
system and all it hardware and software.

DO *NOT* try to configure the DWL-2600 via a wireless connection. Not
only does it often screwup, cause a disconnect, or otherwise ruin my
day, but admin access via wireless can be blocked. That might be
what's happening to you. Find a cheap ethernet 10/100 switch and
stuff it between the DSL modem and the DWL-2600. Plug in your Vista
nightmare laptop. All the lights should indicate a connection. Now
try http://192.168.0.10 or whatever.

If you can't get a web page, look on the DWL-2600 for the MAC address.
You can miss it although it might look like a serial number. If your
Vista hasn't crashed, try:
Start -> Run -> cmd <enter>
to get to the DOS prompt. Then run:
arp -s 192.168.0.99 00-aa-00-aa-00-aa
That sets the IP address of 192.168.0.99 to the MAC address of the
DWL-2600. Then try:
http://192.168.0.99
There are a few other things that may screw this up, but if you've
made the appropriate sacrifices to the wireless gods before starting,
it usually works.

>The downloaded manual says there is a reset button, however the D-Link
>WEB site indicates the only way to reset is via the WEB interface. In
>my case that is a chatch-22. The unit is mounted on a pole on the
>roof, so it not readily accessable. Read that: "I don't want to climb
>up on the roof if I don't have to."

That's what kids are for. Kids are ideal for suicidal repair jobs and
futile efforts. They don't know any better, are comparatively cheap
to hire, and are somewhat expendable. Of course, it might be easier
to lower the pole than to raise the kids, but I'll leave you with the
obvious decision. What's more important? Wireless connectivity or
the life of the neighbors obnoxious brat?

If undecided, I suggest the software reset route.

>Any hints as to gaining access would be appreciated. TIA

Is the system currently working and functional? If so, an IP scanner
will find the device. The DWL-2600 MAC address starts with 00:15:e9
so that should help. I suggest the command line version of NMAP at:
<http://nmap.org>

Running NMAP on my office network:

C:\Nmap>nmap -sP 192.168.111.*

Starting Nmap 4.01 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2008-06-21
16:46 Pacific Daylight Time
Host router (192.168.111.1) appears to be up.
MAC Address: 00:13:10:8C:14:A9 (Cisco-Linksys)
Host 192.168.111.2 appears to be up.
MAC Address: 00:00:C0:9F:FF:11 (Western Digital)
Host SLOTH (192.168.111.9) appears to be up.
Host ZULIMDG9P3041 (192.168.111.185) appears to be up.
MAC Address: 00:0C:F1:8A:34:FC (Intel)
Nmap finished: 256 IP addresses (4 hosts up) scanned in 7.171 seconds

Yeah, I know it's an old version. There's also a Windoze version that
is probably easier to use, but I'm too lazy to try it.

# 831-336-2558 jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com jeffl(a)cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
From: Bob on
1st of all - A BIG Thank YOu for the time you took to reply.

I've interspersed some additional information and comments. (Bob)

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 16:53:06 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:32:08 GMT, Bob <rmiers(a)pinalinternet.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I've been asked to assist with a D-Link DWL-2700A access point at a RV
>>park.
>
>Not too horrible a unit. It should work.
><http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=303>
>
>Practice on the emulator before you destroy something:
><http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dwl2700ap_revb/html/index.htm>
>
>>The owners are unhappy with the company that installed the unit
>>and would like to sever their relationship.
>
>Ah yes. The divorce ceremony. Wear safety glasses and a helmet.
>
>>Thus, I was preparing to
>>make a configuration manual (via screen shots) of the setup for their
>>records. I believe the default IP address was changed to 192.168.0.2.
>>However, attempting to login to the WEB interface from a Vista machine
>>(wired connection or wireless) is not successful (Page not found
>>error). I downloaded a setup program from D-Link. It finds the
>>access point (when a wired connection is used, but not wireless) but
>>will not permit access with the password that was given to the park
>>owner.
>
>The device is an access point, not a router. Access points do
>bridging (IP layer 2) and NOT routing (IP layer 3). You will not see
>the access point's IP address in any traffic that is not specifically
>directed at the access point.
>
>My guess(tm) it was left at the default IP of 192.168.0.10. Try it.

Interesting, the DL'ed manual said the default was 192.168.0.50.

>>The owner suspects that the company changed the password the last time
>>they were on site without telling the owner. Job Security! The
>>password to the phone company DSL modem also doesn't work -- that one
>>we can get back by reseting the modem.
>
>I do that even to my best customers. All of them seem to have friends
>and relatives that are hackers. If I'm expected to guarantee reliable
>service, I also have to protect the system against friends and
>relatives as well as hackers.
>
>The password to your unspecified model DSL modem is usually printed on
>the bottom of the modem. If it's an AT&T system, which uses
>SpeedSteam 4100 DSL modems, the password can be changed. However, you
>will need to reset the modem to defaults in order to use the printed
>password. Perhaps it would helpful if you would kindly describe the
>system and all it hardware and software.
The DSL modem is the standard Qwest (phone Co) modem with a 4 port
router build in. The unit has a Wi Fi builtin, but it is currently
turned off. I have the same modem at home. This one has had the LAN
side password set. Default is to be an open unit.

>DO *NOT* try to configure the DWL-2600 via a wireless connection. Not
>only does it often screwup, cause a disconnect, or otherwise ruin my
>day, but admin access via wireless can be blocked. That might be
>what's happening to you. Find a cheap ethernet 10/100 switch and
>stuff it between the DSL modem and the DWL-2600. Plug in your Vista
>nightmare laptop. All the lights should indicate a connection. Now
>try http://192.168.0.10 or whatever.

I took the laptop to the modem and wired it direct and tried
192.168.02 (the IP address that shows up on the DSL modem) and
192.168.0.50 (the default from the manual). but neither address
worked. I can't get into the office tonight to try your suggested
address. However, it doesn't work via wireless.

>If you can't get a web page, look on the DWL-2600 for the MAC address.
>You can miss it although it might look like a serial number. If your
>Vista hasn't crashed, try:

I'm not a fan of Vista, but that is what came of the laptop. UGH!

> Start -> Run -> cmd <enter>
>to get to the DOS prompt. Then run:
> arp -s 192.168.0.99 00-aa-00-aa-00-aa
>That sets the IP address of 192.168.0.99 to the MAC address of the
>DWL-2600. Then try:
> http://192.168.0.99
>There are a few other things that may screw this up, but if you've
>made the appropriate sacrifices to the wireless gods before starting,
>it usually works.
>
>>The downloaded manual says there is a reset button, however the D-Link
>>WEB site indicates the only way to reset is via the WEB interface. In
>>my case that is a chatch-22. The unit is mounted on a pole on the
>>roof, so it not readily accessable. Read that: "I don't want to climb
>>up on the roof if I don't have to."
>
>That's what kids are for. Kids are ideal for suicidal repair jobs and
>futile efforts. They don't know any better, are comparatively cheap
>to hire, and are somewhat expendable. Of course, it might be easier
>to lower the pole than to raise the kids, but I'll leave you with the
>obvious decision. What's more important? Wireless connectivity or
>the life of the neighbors obnoxious brat?

<g> mine are wayyyyy beyond being that helpful.

>If undecided, I suggest the software reset route.
>
>>Any hints as to gaining access would be appreciated. TIA
>
>Is the system currently working and functional? If so, an IP scanner
>will find the device. The DWL-2600 MAC address starts with 00:15:e9
>so that should help. I suggest the command line version of NMAP at:
><http://nmap.org>

The system is working (most of the time). We are getting disconnects
that are lasting about 10 minutes at a time. From my wireless desktop
I can ping the D-Link 192.168.0.2 port but not the 192.168.01 Qwest
port. I already examined the emulator. Thanks for the hint. I would
like to look at the log page.

>Running NMAP on my office network:
>
>C:\Nmap>nmap -sP 192.168.111.*
>
>Starting Nmap 4.01 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2008-06-21
>16:46 Pacific Daylight Time
>Host router (192.168.111.1) appears to be up.
>MAC Address: 00:13:10:8C:14:A9 (Cisco-Linksys)
>Host 192.168.111.2 appears to be up.
>MAC Address: 00:00:C0:9F:FF:11 (Western Digital)
>Host SLOTH (192.168.111.9) appears to be up.
>Host ZULIMDG9P3041 (192.168.111.185) appears to be up.
>MAC Address: 00:0C:F1:8A:34:FC (Intel)
>Nmap finished: 256 IP addresses (4 hosts up) scanned in 7.171 seconds
>
>Yeah, I know it's an old version. There's also a Windoze version that
>is probably easier to use, but I'm too lazy to try it.

I'm lazy -- I got the windoze version and ran it and got the following
result (I clipped the know device information)

Host 192.168.0.1 appears to be up ... good. <<Qwest modem
Interesting ports on 192.168.0.1:
Not shown: 1713 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
80/tcp open http 2Wire HomePortal http config
|_ HTML title: System - Summary
443/tcp open ssl/http 2Wire HomePortal http config
|_ HTML title: System - Summary
MAC Address: 00:1A:C4:F1:99:19 (2Wire)
Device type: WAP
Running: 2Wire embedded
OS details: 2Wire 2700HG, 2700HG-B, 2701HG-B, or RG2701HG wireless
ADSL modem
Uptime: 3.145 days (since Wed Jun 18 16:05:02 2008)
Network Distance: 1 hop
TCP Sequence Prediction: Difficulty=107 (Good luck!)
IP ID Sequence Generation: Incremental
Service Info: Device: broadband router

Host 192.168.0.2 appears to be up ... good. <<D-Link 2700A
Interesting ports on 192.168.0.2:
Not shown: 1712 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
23/tcp open telnet SMC SMC2870W Wireless Ethernet Bridge
80/tcp open tcpwrapped
443/tcp open tcpwrapped
MAC Address: 00:15:E9:C1:99:00 (D-Link)
Aggressive OS guesses: Thomson TCW710 wireless cable modem (98%),
Netgear CG814WG v2 wireless cable modem (98%), HP 9100c Digital Sender
multifunction printer (92%), Motorola SURFboard SB5100E cable modem
(92%), Nortel 5520 ethernet routing switch (92%), Polycom SoundPoint
IP 430 VoIP phone (92%), Sun StorageTek 6140 NAS device (92%), NCR
5676 or 5688 automated teller machine (92%), Airaya AI108-4958-O-300
wireless Ethernet bridge (91%), Thomson TCM390 cable modem (91%)
No exact OS matches for host (test conditions non-ideal).
Network Distance: 1 hop
Service Info: Device: bridge

There were a couple of other user address that I cut out.

Again, Thanks a bunch.
Bob