From: Bill Giovino on
http://microcontroller.com/news/Atmel_smallest.asp

Teeny tiny uDFN package that is only 2mm on each side.

Bill Giovino
Executive Editor
http://Microcontroller.com
Follow Me: http://twitter.com/BGiovino

From: Andy Peters on
On May 14, 2:00 pm, "Bill Giovino" <contac...(a)microcontroller.com>
wrote:
> http://microcontroller.com/news/Atmel_smallest.asp
>
> Teeny tiny uDFN package that is only 2mm on each side.

Wow, I want a Beowulf cluster of those!

-a
From: Stanley Starinski on
MICROCHIP HAS BEEN & IS SUPERIOR TO ATMEL OR ANYONE!
IF WORLD'S SMALLEST PACKAGE (as you claim - Atmel) DOESN'T DO ITS JOB AS
WELL AS MICROCHIP INC. THEN THERE'S NO USE FOR IT.

MICROCHIP HAS BEEN OFFERING uDFN packages and/or waiting for market reaction
anyway, as per their V.P who emailed me in response to my suggestion to keep
PDIP packaging for easier prototyping, which is the opposite end - IC's
largest package.

He said uDFN is extremely difficult to install on circuit boards, also
reliability is an issue.
But technologically Microchip has uDFN, it just doesn't know if market woudl
care for IC package which in essense is BARE SILICON DIE with a thin layer
of passivation/protection. The next step would be simply a bare die which
cannot be installed on circuit boards, b/c it should hermetically sealed

Baredies is the only way to create RF/Microwave ciruitcs above 3GHz or so,
I've spent years with people doing it, upward to 65GHz and believe me
designing a circuit is much easier than building it when package size is
smaller than certain limit - we even have many people who CRUSH components
with the forces of tweezers used ot pick up component & drop into circuit
housing.

uDFN is an extremely difficult package to work with without a Microscope.
I personally prefer Microchip to Atmel, anyway.

You should see new Microchip offers on their parametric search webpage, I've
been using PIC18F4520 on theprevious project and now they offer a PIC with a
dozen Timers, 80MHz clocks, enormous number of A/D & PWM channels, etc.
And this beauty costs $3-5??

Try to beat that Atmel.

=========================
Stan Starinski
Phone (mobile): +1 (646) 416-2052
Web: www.Interengineers.org www.Nanoinfocenter.com Currently OFF for
maintenance

Consulting Engineer (EE+ME, ECAD+MCAD [3D/2D]), R&D + Prototype,
Embedded/Firmware ["C" or ASM for Microcontrollers], computers).
Past clients: MTT Corp, XigoNanotools, Amplitech, Miteq, Vematech,
KirbyLester, Universities, WaltDisney/ESPNzone

From: TTman on

"Stanley Starinski" <no(a)no.com> wrote in message
> MICROCHIP HAS BEEN & IS SUPERIOR TO ATMEL OR ANYONE!
> IF WORLD'S SMALLEST PACKAGE (as you claim - Atmel) DOESN'T DO ITS JOB AS
> WELL AS MICROCHIP INC. THEN THERE'S NO USE FOR IT.
>
> MICROCHIP HAS BEEN OFFERING uDFN packages and/or waiting for market
> reaction anyway, as per their V.P who emailed me in response to my
> suggestion to keep PDIP packaging for easier prototyping, which is the
> opposite end - IC's largest package.
>
> He said uDFN is extremely difficult to install on circuit boards, also
> reliability is an issue.
> But technologically Microchip has uDFN, it just doesn't know if market
> woudl care for IC package which in essense is BARE SILICON DIE with a thin
> layer of passivation/protection. The next step would be simply a bare die
> which cannot be installed on circuit boards, b/c it should hermetically
> sealed
>
> Baredies is the only way to create RF/Microwave ciruitcs above 3GHz or so,
> I've spent years with people doing it, upward to 65GHz and believe me
> designing a circuit is much easier than building it when package size is
> smaller than certain limit - we even have many people who CRUSH components
> with the forces of tweezers used ot pick up component & drop into circuit
> housing.
>
> uDFN is an extremely difficult package to work with without a Microscope.
> I personally prefer Microchip to Atmel, anyway.
>
> You should see new Microchip offers on their parametric search webpage,
> I've been using PIC18F4520 on theprevious project and now they offer a PIC
> with a dozen Timers, 80MHz clocks, enormous number of A/D & PWM channels,
> etc.
> And this beauty costs $3-5??
>
> Try to beat that Atmel.

Aimed at high vol professional use, not small business/hobbyist. Each
package has its merits...

From: -jg on
On May 15, 9:00 am, "Bill Giovino" <contac...(a)microcontroller.com>
wrote:
> http://microcontroller.com/news/Atmel_smallest.asp
>
> Teeny tiny uDFN package that is only 2mm on each side.

hmm...NXP are already way ahead of that on density.

They pack TWICE as many pins into a BGA just over 2mmx2mm

http://www.nxp.com/news/content/file_1701.html

NXP also has MUCH more MEMORY!!

NXP: 32KF, 8KR vs Atmel: 1KF/32bR

So, you'd need 32 Atmel parts to match in CODE, and
a whopping 256 to equal the RAM....

-jg