From: Dominik Brodowski on
Felipe,

> If you think suspend blockers are useful for you, great, use them. I
> just don't see why they should be merged if nobody is going to use
> them but you.

Aren't there many drivers in the kernel sources which are only used by very
few users? Android is used by million users, albeit on one platform, but I
don't see this to be a valid reason to keep this functionality out of the
kernel.

Best,
Dominik
From: Dominik Brodowski on
> >> Not Ubuntu, not Fedora, not MeeGo, not anyone with a typical
> >> user-space seems to be having this problem. I can argue to you that
> >> this problem can be solved in easier ways, but instead I will argue
> >> that perhaps we should wait for somebody besides Android to complain
> >> about it before providing a "solution". Because after all, what good
> >> is a "solution" provided by the kernel, if the user-space is not going
> >> to use it, ever.
> >
> > At this point in the discussion, I am quite prepared to believe that you
> > will avoid using suspend blockers, and that you will further do everything
> > in your power to prevent anyone else from using suspend blockers. �;-)
>
> I'm not tying anybody's hands.
>
> How are people using real-time linux if it's not on mainline? Well,
> duuh, you apply the patches. If say Fedora was interested on it, they
> could apply the patches, and see for themselves. People do that all
> the time, with the mm tree, with Con Koliva's patches, etc. Once
> people are happy with the results, things get merged. Why should this
> be any different?

Because millions of users are happy -- with Android, including suspend
blockers.

Best,
Dominik
From: Dominik Brodowski on
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:06:47AM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 17:57 +0200, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> > Because millions of users are happy -- with Android, including suspend
> > blockers.
>
> I'd guess there are on the order of 20 users
> that have built and deployed a kernel with
> Android suspend blockers support.

You mean non-Google users?

> The total deployed systems is relatively meaningless.

Well, it wasn't meaningless wrt noveau:

"I've heard all the excuses. If it isn't ready, they shouldn't ship it to
millions of people. And if it's ready, they should work on merging it.

No excuses.

Linus"

So let's get the suspend blockers to Linus.

Best
Dominik