From: MRAB on
Raji Seetharaman wrote:
> Hi all,
> i did a small gui addressbook application using pygtk, python, mysql db.
> It was successful.
> I tried the same application with glade. But i ended up with errors.
> I desgined the code as follows.
> 1.It has one main window and four child dialogs.
> 2.In the main window, i have to fill in the text entry widget & if i
> press 'add', the data will get inserted into the database.This works fine.
> 3. If showdialog button is clicked, a child dialog appears, where i have
> to enter old entry to update.
> 4. To update, i again use the main window, where i get the following error
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "addressbookglade.py", line 63, in update
> self.ssn = self.wTree.get_widget("ssn").
> get_text()
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_text'
>
> Also i already set the name in properties window. It works fine for add
> option. But not for update option.
> Im using the same window for both add and update.
>
> The code is available here http://pastebin.com/m28a4747e
> The glade xml file is here http://pastebin.com/m1af61a29
> The screenshot of my glade windows are here
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/raji_me/?saved=1
> It works fine for add option. But not for update option. Im using the
> same window for both add and update.

You're using instance attributes a lot where I think local variables
would be better, eg "self.ssn" instead of just "ssn".

In the '__init__' method you have:

self.wTree = gtk.glade.XML(self.gladefile,"mainWindow")

and then in the 'view' method you have:

self.wTree = gtk.glade.XML(self.gladefile,"viewdialog")

In both the 'add' and 'update' methods you have:

self.ssn = self.wTree.get_widget("ssn").get_text()

so I suspect that the following is happening:

1. __init__ makes self.wTree refer to 'mainWindow';

2. You click on the Add button, the 'add' method is called, and the
"self.ssn = " line looks for the "ssn" widget in 'mainWindow';

3. You click on the OK(?) button and view what's just been added;

4. The 'view' method makes self.wTree refer to 'viewdialog';

5. You click on the Update button, the 'update' method is called, and
the "self.ssn = " line looks for the "ssn" widget in 'viewdialog'.