From: Warren on
Stephen Leake expounded in news:82ochamzq1.fsf(a)stephe-leake.org:

> Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> Stephen Leake expounded in news:82sk6nn4vn.fsf(a)stephe-leake.org:

>>> My advice is to stop using the autotools, and use gprbuild instead.
>>>
>>> gprbuild knows how to build C libraries and link them with Ada. It
can
>>> also use a C main, if necessary.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there is more to this than just the build.
>> I am mostly concerned about the ./configure and the generated
>> config.h file. Autoconf is critical for wide platform support.
>
> Apparently you have source code in C as well as Ada? My sympathies :).

For a basic interpreter, making use of ncurses, libgmp, libgsl,
and PostgreSQL etc., it is unavoidable. :) I tried to avoid C++
like the plague, but ncurses requires a C++ main, if GNAT exceptions
are to work correctly. I'm not sure of the details why, but a GNAT
exception + ncurses and a C or gnat main leads to an abort.
Switching to a C++ main program has corrected that.

>> I still need to use the libtool's library libtdl (I think it was), but
>> that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> I'm not familiar with that tool; what does it do?

It's main claim to fame is to provide a uniform way of dealing
with shared libraries and dlls on a given platform. I mainly
need the libtool's library for working with dynamic library
I may need to create shared library components down the
road, but that is on hold for now.

>> That way I can still use make (gmake), as I have always done.
>
> I always run gprbuild from Gnu make.

As you can see from my other post yesterday, I did manage to
get things working. I posted the relevant details.

Warren
From: Georg Bauhaus on
On 21.04.10 21:54, Warren wrote:
> Has anyone here had experience using GNAT with autoconf/automake?

I think, no, I know I am not the only one having used
GNU make in preference to the very thing that purports
to solve the problem, that, actually, it is creating.

automess.
From: Stephen Leake on

--
-- Stephe
From: Vadim Godunko on
On Apr 23, 5:44 pm, Warren <ve3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> For a basic interpreter, making use of ncurses, libgmp, libgsl,
> and PostgreSQL etc., it is unavoidable. :)  I tried to avoid C++
> like the plague, but ncurses requires a C++ main, if GNAT exceptions
> are to work correctly. I'm not sure of the details why, but a GNAT
> exception + ncurses and a C or gnat main leads to an abort.
> Switching to a C++ main program has corrected that.

Did you try to pass -shared to gnatbind?
From: Vadim Godunko on
On Apr 21, 11:54 pm, Warren <ve3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone here had experience using GNAT with autoconf/automake?

I used them long time ago. I don't known any project which still use
them now, but them was used in old versions of PolyORB and QtAda.