From: Shenan Stanley on
Katinsc wrote:
> Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB981715),Installation
> status: Failed
> Error details: Code 646
>
> Update for Microsoft Office OneNote 2007 (KB980729),Installation
> status: Failed
>
> Error details: Code 646
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Anyone else get this? Any idea had what I need to do?

Manual installation of the update(s) work?
(Actually visiting the individual web page for each, downloading/saving the
patch and running the executable as administrator manually.)

Operating System, Service Pack, Architecture (32 or 64-bit), Internet
Explorer version, what antivirus software you utilize (manufacturer, name of
product and version, please) and if you utilize any third party software
firewall?

If the latter is true - UNINSTALL that - do not think that just disabling
should be enough. Uninstall.

If it is part of your AntiVirus 'suite' - uninstall all of it and install a
different *just antivirus* product. Avira AntiVir is good and free. eSet
NOD32 (antivirus only) is generally inexpensive and good.

Do you (have you) utilize any antimalware products like MalwareBytes or
SuperAntiSpyware?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: K on
Yes, just received error. Need to go to Microsoft Download Centre and
download manually. Type each code individually and will come up, once
completed go back to Automatic Updates, retry and you should receive message,
successfully downloaded.
I just did it and it worked fine.

From: taurus on
"K" s answer works......thanks friend