From: Stewart Berman on
Windows 7 RTM
Visual Studio 2008

This is a new build. I installed Office 2007 and Visual Studio 2008 and applied all updates.

On the Windows Update settings page I have specified Install Options Automatically and have
everything checked.

Today I saw something about Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and checked Windows Update. It said I had all
important and recommended patches applied. I check my update history and it showed three hot fixes
for Visual Studio 2008 but not SP1.

I then downloaded the Visual Studio SP1 installer and it is happily installing.

Why didn't the automatic update feature of Windows Update pick up Visual Studio SP1? The manual
check for available updates didn't show it either -- why?
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Go to the bottom (end) of the log and start scrolling upwards: Do you see
any recent "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation"
errors/comments?

> I check my update history and it showed three hot fixes for Visual Studio
> 2008 but not SP1.

What were the three "hotfixes"? Are they SP1 Prerequisite updates?

Try post here instead:

Windows 7 Forums
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

From: Stewart Berman on
>Go to the bottom (end) of the log and start scrolling upwards: Do you see

There are no errors shown in the log.

>What were the three "hotfixes"? Are they SP1 Prerequisite updates?

The three hot fixes were installed before SP1 was released. I don't think they were prerequisites.
KB952241
KB971091
KB973674

KB952241 is no longer listed in control panel's installed updates. I think it was replaced by SP1.

Please note that the log shown from Windows Update does not match the installed updates via control
panel. Windows Update does not show any patches that were not applied through it. For example VS
2008 SP1 does not show up in Windows Update as being applied but it does in control panel's
installed updates.

>Try post here instead:
>
>Windows 7 Forums

This is a Windows Update issue -- not a Windows 7 issue.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> This is a Windows Update issue -- not a Windows 7 issue.

We don't support Win7 here yet and there are no Win7-specific newsgroups.