From: ehsjr on
BoyntonStu wrote:
> On Jul 8, 8:54 am, BoyntonStu <boynton...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 8, 8:07 am, default <defa...(a)defaulter.net> wrote:

>>>Sounds like you already have a pretty good idea of what you are doing
>>>or want to do.
>>
>>>A single 555 monostable triggered by an inexpensive off-the-shelf
>>>motion detector with an external reset.
>>
>>>But you are probably leaving something out - like what precision do
>>>you want, and does time need to be adjusted with some degree of
>>>accuracy and will it change often, how user-friendly, etc..
>>>--
>>
>>5 minute time accuracy is fine.
>>
>>You walk into a room, the motion detector sees you and it sends a
>>signal to the timer/controller which activates a 5 Amp 110 Vac circuit
>>for let's say 45 minutes..
>>
>>If you walk around the room and the sensor sees you again within the
>>45 minutes; nothing happens.
>>
>>Only after the timer counts down will that room sensor reset the
>>timer..
>>
>>However, If you, or another person goes into another room and its
>>sensor detects movement withing the 45 minute countdown, the timer/
>>controller resets to 45 minutes.
>>
>>Is this clear?
>

> Perhaps I made it too complicated.
>
> All sensor signals will set the timer to 45 minutes.
>
> IOW After the last sensor detects motion and signals the timer, it
> will count down 45 minutes.
>
> That would make it much simpler.

So, any sensed activity first resets the counter to 0,
then starts it. When the counter starts, a 5 amp 110 VAC
circuit is completed. The counter runs for 45 minutes.
If and when 45 minutes is reached on the counter, the
5 amp 110 VAC circuit is opened. You've just described
a motion sensor switch with a delayed off. They are
commercially available.

Here's a link to one:
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ms16a.htm

There are many other manufacturers that make motion sensing,
delayed off switches that are used to turn the lights on in
a room when there is activity, then turn them off x amount
of time after the activity stops. Google to check out what's
available.

Ed

From: BoyntonStu on
On Jul 8, 2:00 pm, ehsjr <eh...(a)nospamverizon.net> wrote:
> BoyntonStu wrote:

> >>5 minute time accuracy is fine.
>
> >>You walk into a room, the motion detector sees you and it sends a
> >>signal to the timer/controller which activates a 5 Amp 110 Vac circuit
> >>for let's say 45 minutes..
>
> >>If you walk around the room and the sensor sees you again within the
> >>45 minutes; nothing happens.
>
> >>Only after the timer counts down will that room sensor reset the
> >>timer..
>
> >>However, If you, or another person goes into another room and its
> >>sensor detects movement withing the 45 minute countdown, the timer/
> >>controller resets to 45 minutes.
>
> >>Is this clear?
>
> > Perhaps I made it too complicated.
>
> > All sensor signals will set the timer to 45 minutes.
>
> > IOW After the last sensor detects motion and signals the timer, it
> > will count down 45 minutes.
>
> > That would make it much simpler.
>
> So, any sensed activity first resets the counter to 0,
> then starts it. When the counter starts, a 5 amp 110 VAC
> circuit is completed. The counter runs for 45 minutes.
> If and when 45 minutes is reached on the counter, the
> 5 amp 110 VAC circuit is opened.  You've just described
> a motion sensor switch with a delayed off. They are
> commercially available.
>
> Here's a link to one:http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ms16a.htm
>
> There are many other manufacturers that make motion sensing,
> delayed off switches that are used to turn the lights on in
> a room when there is activity, then turn them off x amount
> of time after the activity stops. Google to check out what's
> available.
>
> Ed

Thanks Ed,

Good find.

A few questions:

Can all sensors control the same 110 VAC device?

The motion detectors are AAA powered do you know of any hard wired
devices?

(I can't imagine them hooked to Wally-Mart chargers)

Thanks again.
From: ehsjr on
BoyntonStu wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2:00 pm, ehsjr <eh...(a)nospamverizon.net> wrote:
>
>>BoyntonStu wrote:

>>>Perhaps I made it too complicated.
>>
>>>All sensor signals will set the timer to 45 minutes.
>>
>>>IOW After the last sensor detects motion and signals the timer, it
>>>will count down 45 minutes.
>>
>>>That would make it much simpler.
>>
>>So, any sensed activity first resets the counter to 0,
>>then starts it. When the counter starts, a 5 amp 110 VAC
>>circuit is completed. The counter runs for 45 minutes.
>>If and when 45 minutes is reached on the counter, the
>>5 amp 110 VAC circuit is opened. You've just described
>>a motion sensor switch with a delayed off. They are
>>commercially available.
>>
>>Here's a link to one:http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ms16a.htm
>>
>>There are many other manufacturers that make motion sensing,
>>delayed off switches that are used to turn the lights on in
>>a room when there is activity, then turn them off x amount
>>of time after the activity stops. Google to check out what's
>>available.
>>
>>Ed
>

> Thanks Ed,
>
> Good find.
>
> A few questions:
>
> Can all sensors control the same 110 VAC device?

Yes. But there is a limited range of 20' according
to the info at the url cited above.

> The motion detectors are AAA powered do you know of any hard wired
> devices?

Yes, there are hard wired motion sensor switches. I've walked
into rooms where the lights turn on upon entry - a bit startling
the first time that happened - and turn off some time after I've
left. Google to find the specs - I don't know what's available
in terms of delay off times, area coverage, etc.

Ed

From: BoyntonStu on
On Jul 9, 12:22 pm, ehsjr <eh...(a)nospamverizon.net> wrote:
> BoyntonStu wrote:

> >>So, any sensed activity first resets the counter to 0,
> >>then starts it. When the counter starts, a 5 amp 110 VAC
> >>circuit is completed. The counter runs for 45 minutes.
> >>If and when 45 minutes is reached on the counter, the
> >>5 amp 110 VAC circuit is opened.  You've just described
> >>a motion sensor switch with a delayed off. They are
> >>commercially available.
>
> >>Here's a link to one:http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ms16a.htm
>
> >>There are many other manufacturers that make motion sensing,
> >>delayed off switches that are used to turn the lights on in
> >>a room when there is activity, then turn them off x amount
> >>of time after the activity stops. Google to check out what's
> >>available.
>
> >>Ed
>
> > Thanks Ed,
>
> > Good find.
>
> > A few questions:
>
> > Can all sensors control the same 110 VAC device?
>
> Yes.  But there is a limited range of 20' according
> to the info at the url cited above.
>

> > The motion detectors are AAA powered do you know of any hard wired
> > devices?
>
> Yes, there are hard wired motion sensor switches.  I've walked
> into rooms where the lights turn on upon entry - a bit startling
> the first time that happened - and turn off some time after I've
> left.  Google to find the specs - I don't know what's available
> in terms of delay off times, area coverage, etc.
>
> Ed
>

> > (I can't imagine them hooked to Wally-Mart chargers)
>
> > Thanks again.

The auto room light is fine for that room.

The ghoal to is to have all the detectors in all the rooms control a
single appliance elsewhere in the house.

I believe that the X10 system with an appliance receiver will do the
job.

Many thanks