From: James Harris on
In case someone else finds it useful here is a program I wrote a year
or so ago to help manage tab characters. It will convert tabs to runs
of spaces, convert runs of spaces to tabs, or count or check for tab
characters as required. It supports tab stops at regular and irregular
positions.

http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/tabs.py

It is written in Python and you can either use it from the command
line or call the functions from another Python script. Documentation
is included on the web page.

James
From: James Harris on
On 7 Feb, 21:25, James Harris <james.harri...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> In case someone else finds it useful here is a program I wrote a year
> or so ago to help manage tab characters. It will convert tabs to runs
> of spaces, convert runs of spaces to tabs, or count or check for tab
> characters as required. It supports tab stops at regular and irregular
> positions.
>
>  http://codewiki.wikispaces.com/tabs.py
>
> It is written in Python and you can either use it from the command
> line or call the functions from another Python script. Documentation
> is included on the web page.

After posting this I realised the code had a dependence on a separate
debugging module. I've commented-out all such references and tested it
in isolation from other code. Everything behaved as it should so if
you download it you should find it just works. The only dependence is
on Python (i.e. Python 2.x; I gather 3.x needs print statements and
maybe other stuff to be changed). Any issues, feel free to post them
here.

James