From: Don Lope de Aguirre on
Grrr! Does it never end? Updated Avira on my XP box yesterday and now it
thinks my Host file has an infection but it is just an entry added by Spybot
to block a malware site with the Trojan drive by download and not actually
opening up my PC to it.

From: siljaline on
Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:
> Grrr! Does it never end? Updated Avira on my XP box yesterday and now it
> thinks my Host file has an infection but it is just an entry added by Spybot
> to block a malware site with the Trojan drive by download and not actually
> opening up my PC to it.

Have you http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Merging merged two HOSTS Files ?
If yes, which ones ? That would likely be the cause of the valid flag.

Silj

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

From: Meat Eaters are Sinners - Repent! on
siljaline wrote:

> Have you http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Merging merged two HOSTS Files ?
> If yes, which ones ? That would likely be the cause of the valid flag.
>
> Silj

That was it, now using just MVPS, thanks.
From: siljaline on
Meat Eaters are Sinners - Repent! wrote:
> siljaline wrote:
>

>> Have you http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Merging merged two HOSTS Files ?
>> If yes, which ones ? That would likely be the cause of the valid flag.

> That was it, now using just MVPS, thanks.

OK, you'd be best served "looking under the hood" @ [example Win XP] =
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC" clean out anything that looks like a HOSTS File.
Install a fresh copy: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip

Create a HOSTS Editor if you don't have a third party app doing that for you already.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Editor

Test it to see if it's working:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Testing

From: Don Lope de Aguirre on
"siljaline" <spam(a)uce.gov> wrote in message
OK, you'd be best served "looking under the hood" @ [example Win XP] =
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC" clean out anything that looks like a
HOSTS File.
Install a fresh copy: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip

I did install a fresh copy of the MVPS Hosts file, thanks.