From: Sam Takoy on
Hi,

Is there a way to ask Mathematica to avoid expressing answers in terms
of certain functions. For example, I can stand Sec, Csc, Sech, and Csch
and would rather see Sec^-1, etc.

Thanks!

From: Murray Eisenberg on
I don't think I understand your question, given that Sec^-1 means
ArcSec. Which are you trying to avoid, ArcSec or hyperbolic functions
Sech, etc.?

If you're just trying to avoid hyperbolic functions, you could use
TrigToExp, e.g.:

TrigToExp[Sech[x]] // InputForm
2/(E^(-x) + E^x)

[For purposes of text messages in this newsgroup, I used InputForm there
just in order to produce a 1-dimensional output instead of an actual
2-dimensional built-up (compound) fraction.]

Similary:

TrigToExp[ArcSech[x]]
Log[Sqrt[-1 + x^(-1)]*Sqrt[1 + x^(-1)] + x^(-1)]

--
Murray Eisenberg murray(a)math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.

From: David Park on
You could always do something like this:

MakeBoxes[Csc[x_], form : (StandardForm | TraditionalForm)] :=
InterpretationBox[#1, #2] & @@ {MakeBoxes[HoldForm[1/Sin[x]]],
Csc[x]}

1/Sin[x]
% // FullForm

Use

MakeBoxes[Csc[x_], form : (StandardForm | TraditionalForm)] =.

to clear the definition.

Frankly, I wouldn't do that kind of formatting because it is too special and
is hiding what Mathematica is actually working on and may not give the
intended result with more complicated expressions.

Clearly, you are trying to use Mathematica in a way that gives clearer
results in a textbook form. This is a good idea. If you gave some specific
examples you might obtain better answers.

David Park
djmpark(a)comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: AES on
> From: Sam Takoy [mailto:sam.takoy(a)yahoo.com]
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to ask Mathematica to avoid expressing answers in terms
> of certain functions. For example, I [can't?] stand Sec, Csc, Sech, and Csch
> and would rather see Sec^-1, etc.

I'm with you on this one: always hated Sec and Csc (and never
understood the backward naming of these functions -- why isn't Sec =
1/Sin and Csc = 1/Cos?)

So, I'd like the various Simplifiy and XxxToYyy functions in Mathematica to
always give precedence to Sin and Cos by default, and avoid using Sec
and Csc whenever possible, even if this produces some "1 overs" in the
output expression.

But I suspect trying to implement this at this point would require more
complexity than it would be worth.

From: Andrzej Kozlowski on

On 19 Jul 2010, at 08:10, AES wrote:

>> From: Sam Takoy [mailto:sam.takoy(a)yahoo.com]
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to ask Mathematica to avoid expressing answers in terms
>> of certain functions. For example, I [can't?] stand Sec, Csc, Sech, and Csch
>> and would rather see Sec^-1, etc.
>
> I'm with you on this one: always hated Sec and Csc (and never
> understood the backward naming of these functions -- why isn't Sec ==
> 1/Sin and Csc == 1/Cos?)

Have you never noticed this:

1+ Tan[x]^2====Sec[x]^2

1+Cot[x]^2====Csc[x]^2