From: Greg KH on
On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:17:04PM +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Greg KH <greg(a)kroah.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 08:05:38PM +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
> >> Hi Greg,

> >> Please find the initial round of cleaned up patches for staging,
> >> applied against linux-next.
> >
> > Did you really author this driver? �If so, that's fine, just checking.
> > If not, please put the correct authorship "From:" in the patch.
>
> I am not the author of the driver. I just picked it up and cleaned it
> up for Coding style changes for it to be included.

Can we try to figure out who the author is and please credit them?

> > Also, please break up patches to be sent one-per-email so they can be
> > properly applied, and also only have them do one thing (your 4th patch
> > fixed up coding style issues and added the driver to the build.)
>
> Okay, I will resend them.
>
> > Also, can you add a TODO file to the driver directory stating what is
> > needed to be done, and who to contact about it?
>
> I will test the device over the coming week and add in a TODO after that.

I need a TODO before I can accept the patches, sorry.

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Manu Abraham on
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Greg KH <greg(a)kroah.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:17:04PM +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:

>> > Did you really author this driver? �If so, that's fine, just checking.
>> > If not, please put the correct authorship "From:" in the patch.
>>
>> I am not the author of the driver. I just picked it up and cleaned it
>> up for Coding style changes for it to be included.
>
> Can we try to figure out who the author is and please credit them?

Module author has 2 people on it, added them, hope it works.

>> > Also, please break up patches to be sent one-per-email so they can be
>> > properly applied, and also only have them do one thing (your 4th patch
>> > fixed up coding style issues and added the driver to the build.)
>>
>> Okay, I will resend them.
>>
>> > Also, can you add a TODO file to the driver directory stating what is
>> > needed to be done, and who to contact about it?
>>
>> I will test the device over the coming week and add in a TODO after that.
>
> I need a TODO before I can accept the patches, sorry.

Ok will add in an initial TODO what i can see atm.

Regards,
Manu
From: Jon Smirl on
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Greg KH <greg(a)kroah.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 08:05:38PM +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
>>> Hi Greg,

>>> Please find the initial round of cleaned up patches for staging,
>>> applied against linux-next.
>>
>> Did you really author this driver? �If so, that's fine, just checking.
>> If not, please put the correct authorship "From:" in the patch.
>
> I am not the author of the driver. I just picked it up and cleaned it
> up for Coding style changes for it to be included.

I'm not against this submission, but would it be better to wait until
Monday when the Broadcom authors are back as see if they want to
submit their own driver? That way changes would end up back in their
internal VCS.

I'd like to see a real datasheet for this chip, the public one is
nothing but a marketing blurb.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl(a)gmail.com
From: Manu Abraham on
On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Greg,

>>> Did you really author this driver? �If so, that's fine, just checking.
>>> If not, please put the correct authorship "From:" in the patch.
>>
>> I am not the author of the driver. I just picked it up and cleaned it
>> up for Coding style changes for it to be included.
>
> I'm not against this submission, but would it be better to wait until
> Monday when the Broadcom authors are back as see if they want to
> submit their own driver? That way changes would end up back in their
> internal VCS.

Sure, of course,

> I'd like to see a real datasheet for this chip, the public one is
> nothing but a marketing blurb.

You mean a user manual with a description of the registers, don't you ?
Decoder datasheets from whichever manufacturer rarely come into
public. Even with NDA's it is quite hard to get hold of a "proper one"

Regards,
Manu
From: Jarod Wilson on
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Greg,

>>> Did you really author this driver? �If so, that's fine, just checking.
>>> If not, please put the correct authorship "From:" in the patch.
>>
>> I am not the author of the driver. I just picked it up and cleaned it
>> up for Coding style changes for it to be included.
>
> I'm not against this submission, but would it be better to wait until
> Monday when the Broadcom authors are back as see if they want to
> submit their own driver? That way changes would end up back in their
> internal VCS.

Yes, please hold off a bit on this, I've actually been working on this
driver with Scott and Naren (cc'd) for several months now (which is
part of why it doesn't look so much like a lot of typical vendor code
;), and was planning to handle the submission on Naren and Broadcom's
behalf. Just didn't expect someone else to hop on it this quickly. Was
planning to get a git tree up on git.kernel.org over the weekend for
both the driver and the lib, start prepping patches for review, etc.,
but family time and home improvement projects have taken precedence
the past few days (not to mention a few other driver projects that
sucked up time earlier in the break, *cough* IR).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarodwilson(a)gmail.com