From: Ramon F Herrera on

I am having problems setting up a (very basic) DNS server in my new
RedHat Linux box. I have found some references to a BIND Configuration
Tool, which is nowhere to be found.

I would like to start with a simple configuration, without the chroot
jail.

- How do I turn off chroot?

- Where can I find some sort of BIND Configuration Tool?

TIA,

-Ramon

From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-07-15, Ramon F Herrera <ramon(a)conexus.net> wrote:

> I am having problems setting up a (very basic) DNS server in my new
> RedHat Linux box. I have found some references to a BIND Configuration
> Tool, which is nowhere to be found.
>
> I would like to start with a simple configuration, without the chroot
> jail.
>
> - How do I turn off chroot?

Don't run named with -t.

> - Where can I find some sort of BIND Configuration Tool?

Use system-config-bind; if your system doesn't have it you should be
able to get it via yum, RHN or similar.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: Ramon F Herrera on
On Jul 15, 12:18 pm, Keith Keller <kkeller-use...(a)wombat.san-
francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On 2010-07-15, Ramon F Herrera <ra...(a)conexus.net> wrote:
>

> > I am having problems setting up a (very basic) DNS server in my new
> > RedHat Linux box. I have found some references to a BIND Configuration
> > Tool, which is nowhere to be found.
>
> > I would like to start with a simple configuration, without the chroot
> > jail.
>
> >  - How do I turn off chroot?
>
> Don't run named with -t.

Thanks, Keith!

I normally start/stop named like this:

/etc/rc.d/init/named

I looked at that script and was trying to figure out how to remove the
chroot operation. I guess I can always start named manually, without
the -t.

I did find system-config-bind. It was hidden in one of my CD-ROMs.

Thanks again,

-Ramon

From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-07-15, Ramon F Herrera <ramon(a)conexus.net> wrote:
> /etc/rc.d/init/named
>
> I looked at that script and was trying to figure out how to remove the
> chroot operation. I guess I can always start named manually, without
> the -t.
>
> I did find system-config-bind. It was hidden in one of my CD-ROMs.

You should use system-config-bind to configure named; there is likely an
option to not run in a chroot. (Or you may find that you don't need to
turn off chroot.)

If there is no way to do this in system-config-bind, then I believe (but
please don't see me as authoritative) that you can add

ROOTDIR=''

to /etc/sysconfig/named to not run in a chroot. (Or if ROOTDIR already
exists there, change it to ''.)

--keith

From: Ramon F Herrera on
On Jul 15, 1:18 pm, Keith Keller <kkeller-use...(a)wombat.san-
francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On 2010-07-15, Ramon F Herrera <ra...(a)conexus.net> wrote:
>
> > /etc/rc.d/init/named
>
> > I looked at that script and was trying to figure out how to remove the
> > chroot operation. I guess I can always start named manually, without
> > the -t.
>
> > I did find system-config-bind. It was hidden in one of my CD-ROMs.
>

> You should use system-config-bind to configure named;

You can say that again...

> there is likely an option to not run in a chroot.
> (Or you may find that you don't need to turn off chroot.)

This was the case. I have my basic server up and running: such a piece
of cake, when you have a nice GUI.

I have another question, in a separate thread...

Thx,

-Ramon