From: warya on
Specs---OS-vista home premium, 32 bit OS,2006 Microsoft,

windows update stopped working. Trouble shooting for error code 80246008,
using miscrosoft suport led to BITS in admin services. However, after
carrying all steps, finally when starting BITS service, it starts but stops
instantly with message--THE BITS SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER STARTED AND THEN
STOPPED.SOME SERVICES STOP AUTOMATICALLY IF THEY ARE NOT IN USE BY OTHER
SERVICES OR PROGRAMS.
Have run latest anti-malware and below is appended Scan log:Malwarebytes'
Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4101

Windows 6.0.6000
Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16711

15-05-2010 00:37:30
mbam-log-2010-05-15 (00-37-30).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 127104
Time elapsed: 13 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\secure32
(Worm.Brontok) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\secure64
(Worm.Brontok) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
C:\(Read Me)Pendekar Blank.txt (Worm.Brontok) -> No action taken.

PLS HELP.

From: Ǝиçεl on
Hello warya,

I recommend downloading and installing MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
SUPERAntiSpywaяe (SAS).

Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes' and SUPERAntiSpywaяe.

<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
Reboot
-=-
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
Reboot
-=-

The programs are free. (There is a paid version but you don't need to buy it
to remove malware.)
-=-

Good luck

:.Ǝиçεl.:
PS
Do *not* install and/or run MBAM in Safe Mode - it is designed to be at full
power in normal mode, and in actual fact, uses a special driver that does not
work in Safe Mode.

Using MBAM in Safe Mode should only be a *last resort* when all else fails.
-=-

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=94d230a5-48a2-43a1-b43c-7a94d5db023d&mid=94d230a5-48a2-43a1-b43c-7a94d5db023d>

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Support for Vista Gold (no Service Packs) ended on Tuesday, 13 April 2010.
Computers still running Vista Gold "will no longer receive software updates
[e.g., SP1] from Windows Update" until SP1 has been manually installed
(which will require that several Prerequisite Updates be installed first).
See
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2010/04/13/end-of-support-for-windows-vista-with-no-services-packs.aspx.

• What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean