From: John Fields on
Serendipity is a wonderful thing.

I found a couple of recipes on the web; one for pork meatballs and one
for penne arrabiata that were yummy by themselves, and I wondered what
they might be like together.

You tell me. :-)

I modified them a bit, to suit my taste, and here's the result:

For the meatballs:

1 egg, lightly beaten
1 slice of bread, crumbled
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup grated, but not packed, Romano cheese. (Parmesan is OK)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (table salt is OK)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 pound ground pork
2 packets of Herbox sodium free beef bouillon sprinkled into
2 cups of boiling water, or 2 cups of beef broth.

For the sauce:

1 teaspoon of the best olive oil you can afford.
1 cup of chopped yellow onion
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of white sugar
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon of dried basil leaf
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes for mild heat, or...
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper
2 (14.5 ounce) cans of peeled and diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

For the meatballs:

In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients thoroughly, then
crumble in the pork and mix well.

Scoop the mixture into heaping tablespoons and shape into 1-1/2" to 2"
diameter balls (the goal is 12 balls) and set aside.

In a skillet, bring the beef broth to a boil over medium high heat,
then place the meatballs into the broth in one layer.

Reduce heat to lowish, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Turn the meatballs and cook until the the middle is no longer pink,
another 5-10 minutes, YMMV.

Remove the meatballs from the broth with a slotted spoon, set aside,
and discard the broth.

For the sauce:

Heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium high heat and,
when it shimmers, reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and garlic
and saute until the onions turn translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.

Stir in the white sugar, basil, pepper, tomato paste, lemon juice,
Italian seasoning, black pepper, and tomatoes.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 10
minutes.

Add the meatballs and continue simmering until heated through, about 5
minutes.

Ladle over hot al dente penne.

Buon Appetito!

JF

From: Joerg on
John Fields wrote:
> Serendipity is a wonderful thing.
>
> I found a couple of recipes on the web; one for pork meatballs and one
> for penne arrabiata that were yummy by themselves, and I wondered what
> they might be like together.
>
> You tell me. :-)
>
> I modified them a bit, to suit my taste, and here's the result:
>
> For the meatballs:
>
> 1 egg, lightly beaten
> 1 slice of bread, crumbled
> 2 garlic cloves, minced
> 1/2 cup grated, but not packed, Romano cheese. (Parmesan is OK)
> 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (table salt is OK)
> 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
> 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
> 1 pound ground pork
> 2 packets of Herbox sodium free beef bouillon sprinkled into
> 2 cups of boiling water, or 2 cups of beef broth.
>

> For the sauce:
>
> 1 teaspoon of the best olive oil you can afford.
> 1 cup of chopped yellow onion
> 4 cloves of garlic, minced
> 1 tablespoon of white sugar
> 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon of dried basil leaf
> 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes for mild heat, or...
> 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
> 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
> 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
> 1/4 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper
> 2 (14.5 ounce) cans of peeled and diced tomatoes
> 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
>
> Directions:
>
> For the meatballs:
>
> In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients thoroughly, then
> crumble in the pork and mix well.
>
> Scoop the mixture into heaping tablespoons and shape into 1-1/2" to 2"
> diameter balls (the goal is 12 balls) and set aside.
>
> In a skillet, bring the beef broth to a boil over medium high heat,
> then place the meatballs into the broth in one layer.
>
> Reduce heat to lowish, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
>
> Turn the meatballs and cook until the the middle is no longer pink,
> another 5-10 minutes, YMMV.
>
> Remove the meatballs from the broth with a slotted spoon, set aside,
> and discard the broth.
>

> For the sauce:
>
> Heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium high heat and,
> when it shimmers, reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and garlic
> and saute until the onions turn translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
>
> Stir in the white sugar, basil, pepper, tomato paste, lemon juice,
> Italian seasoning, black pepper, and tomatoes.
>
> Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 10
> minutes.
>
> Add the meatballs and continue simmering until heated through, about 5
> minutes.
>
> Ladle over hot al dente penne.
>
> Buon Appetito!

Thanks, John. Forwarded it to my wife but she'll probably wait until the
weather is a bit cooler. Or at least until the swamp cooler arrives.
Could only get it mail order, takes 10 days by truck. Hurumph!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:48:01 -0500, John Fields
<jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:

>Serendipity is a wonderful thing.
>
>I found a couple of recipes on the web; one for pork meatballs and one
>for penne arrabiata that were yummy by themselves, and I wondered what
>they might be like together.
>
>You tell me. :-)
>
>I modified them a bit, to suit my taste, and here's the result:
>
>For the meatballs:
>
>1 egg, lightly beaten
>1 slice of bread, crumbled
>2 garlic cloves, minced
>1/2 cup grated, but not packed, Romano cheese. (Parmesan is OK)
>1/2 teaspoon sea salt (table salt is OK)
>1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
>1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
>1 pound ground pork
>2 packets of Herbox sodium free beef bouillon sprinkled into
> 2 cups of boiling water, or 2 cups of beef broth.
>

>For the sauce:
>
>1 teaspoon of the best olive oil you can afford.
>1 cup of chopped yellow onion
>4 cloves of garlic, minced
>1 tablespoon of white sugar
>1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon of dried basil leaf
>1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes for mild heat, or...
>2 tablespoons of tomato paste
>1 tablespoon of lemon juice
>1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
>1/4 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper
>2 (14.5 ounce) cans of peeled and diced tomatoes
>2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
>
>Directions:
>
>For the meatballs:
>
>In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients thoroughly, then
>crumble in the pork and mix well.
>
>Scoop the mixture into heaping tablespoons and shape into 1-1/2" to 2"
>diameter balls (the goal is 12 balls) and set aside.
>
>In a skillet, bring the beef broth to a boil over medium high heat,
>then place the meatballs into the broth in one layer.
>
>Reduce heat to lowish, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
>
>Turn the meatballs and cook until the the middle is no longer pink,
>another 5-10 minutes, YMMV.
>
>Remove the meatballs from the broth with a slotted spoon, set aside,
>and discard the broth.
>

>For the sauce:
>
>Heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium high heat and,
>when it shimmers, reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and garlic
>and saute until the onions turn translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
>
>Stir in the white sugar, basil, pepper, tomato paste, lemon juice,
>Italian seasoning, black pepper, and tomatoes.
>
>Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 10
>minutes.
>
>Add the meatballs and continue simmering until heated through, about 5
>minutes.
>
>Ladle over hot al dente penne.
>
>Buon Appetito!
>
>JF

For those nights when everybody is pooped and you don't want to cook
for long, try this:

Boil some capellini. That goes fast.

While it's cooking, put some heavy cream (whipping cream) in a pot.
Warm gently, don't boil. Fine-grate some regiano parmesan and add to
the cream, stirring until smooth. Add some black pepper. If you have
the energy, add a little tarragon and a tiny dash of nutmeg and a
little sherry.

Drain pasta, stir in a small pat of butter so it doesn't stick, and
add sauce.

Serve with bread and wine. Pile dirty dishes in the sink and go to
bed.

John

From: Rich Webb on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:48:01 -0500, John Fields
<jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:

>Serendipity is a wonderful thing.
>
>I found a couple of recipes on the web; one for pork meatballs and one
>for penne arrabiata that were yummy by themselves, and I wondered what
>they might be like together.

<snippety snip>

A fast, one-pot relative of this that I've come to depend on, slightly
tweaked from an America's Test Kitchens recipe:

- - - -
1 lb un-cased, hot Italian sausage OR regular (cased) chorizo [1]
1 onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
red pepper flakes
dried basil
1/2 C heavy cream
3 C chicken stock
1 can Original Ro*Tel diced tomatoes and chilies (15 oz)
12 oz penne
1 lb "pepper jack" style cheese

[1] If using chorizo, cut the un-cooked sausage into 1/4" thick slices.
When cooked, the casing holds the meat together and you end up with
discrete meatball-ish pieces rather than the smaller bits that the
uncased sausage meat yields. Looks nicer but takes longer.

Cook the sausage and chopped onion in a large skillet or dutch oven.

Add the chopped garlic with a good shake of pepper flakes and a couple
shakes of the dried basil and cook briefly (about 30 secs; don't want
the garlic to burn).

Add the chicken stock, cream, Ro*Tel tomatoes, and penne pasta. Cover
and cook at a low boil for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is ready.
Stir frequently.

While it's cooking, grate the pepper jack.

When the pasta is done, remove from heat and stir in the grated cheese.
Cover and let stand briefly before serving.
- - - -

Nice and hot, with a creamy tomato sauce. For milder versions, dial back
the Ro*Tel to regular diced tomatoes, the pepper jack to Monterey jack,
the hot sausage to mild, and/or leave out the pepper flakes.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
From: John Fields on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:39:39 -0400, Rich Webb
<bbew.ar(a)mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:48:01 -0500, John Fields
><jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:
>
>>Serendipity is a wonderful thing.
>>
>>I found a couple of recipes on the web; one for pork meatballs and one
>>for penne arrabiata that were yummy by themselves, and I wondered what
>>they might be like together.
>
><snippety snip>
>
>A fast, one-pot relative of this that I've come to depend on, slightly
>tweaked from an America's Test Kitchens recipe:
>
>- - - -
>1 lb un-cased, hot Italian sausage OR regular (cased) chorizo [1]
>1 onion, coarsely chopped
>4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
> red pepper flakes
> dried basil
>1/2 C heavy cream
>3 C chicken stock
>1 can Original Ro*Tel diced tomatoes and chilies (15 oz)
>12 oz penne
>1 lb "pepper jack" style cheese
>
>[1] If using chorizo, cut the un-cooked sausage into 1/4" thick slices.
>When cooked, the casing holds the meat together and you end up with
>discrete meatball-ish pieces rather than the smaller bits that the
>uncased sausage meat yields. Looks nicer but takes longer.
>
>Cook the sausage and chopped onion in a large skillet or dutch oven.
>
>Add the chopped garlic with a good shake of pepper flakes and a couple
>shakes of the dried basil and cook briefly (about 30 secs; don't want
>the garlic to burn).
>
>Add the chicken stock, cream, Ro*Tel tomatoes, and penne pasta. Cover
>and cook at a low boil for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is ready.
>Stir frequently.
>
>While it's cooking, grate the pepper jack.
>
>When the pasta is done, remove from heat and stir in the grated cheese.
>Cover and let stand briefly before serving.
>- - - -
>
>Nice and hot, with a creamy tomato sauce. For milder versions, dial back
>the Ro*Tel to regular diced tomatoes, the pepper jack to Monterey jack,
>the hot sausage to mild, and/or leave out the pepper flakes.

---
Thanks, sounds good.

I'll give it a try next week. :)

JF