From: James Hogan on
Hi,

I've noticed that some of the ioctl definitions in
include/linux/watchdog.h are incorrect, for example:

#define WDIOC_SETOPTIONS _IOR(WATCHDOG_IOCTL_BASE, 4, int)
This is a write ioctl so should be _IOW

#define WDIOC_KEEPALIVE _IOR(WATCHDOG_IOCTL_BASE, 5, int)
I think this should just be _IO since the argument is ignored anyway

From a quick grep, mpcore_wdt appears to be the only watchdog driver
in drivers/watchdog that uses _IOC_DIR on the ioctl number, which
breaks the SETOPTIONS ioctl on this driver.

Is it usually even possible to change ioctl numbers for compatibility?
What's the usual process?

Cheers
--
James Hogan
From: Alan Cox on
> Is it usually even possible to change ioctl numbers for compatibility?
> What's the usual process?

In this case I think its historical and we are stuck with it.