From: Robert Klemme on
2010/5/27 Martin Hansen <mail(a)maasha.dk>:

> It is quite important to me that other people can put together a
> "Biopiece" as easily as possible i.e. expand the minimal example.
> Therefore I have moved code which under normal circumstances would be
> placed in the 'Biopieces' script to the Biopieces class - and I quite
> possibly violate a number of conventions that way.
>
>> I would extract the opion parsing from that class and either use a
>> Hash, OpenStruct or custom class for transportation of your options.
>> That way you make your bio pieces processing independent from the
>> interface (command line, graphical application etc.).
>
> I really don't want upcoming 'Biopiece writers' to fiddle around with
> other classes than the Biopieces class for the sake of simplicity - and
> I am willing to have option parsing and record parsing mixed even though
> it is ugly.

Well, then I don't know what you're after. You say you suspect it's
badly structured, someone points out something that indicates bad
structure and you say you want to keep it that way. What is your goal
and what do you expect from us?

Cheers

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

From: Martin Hansen on
The goal is to create a bunch of scripts that can be piped together
easily on the command line in a UNIX environment to manipulate text
based records. They scripts are supposed to be easy to use, but also
easy to write - in whatever programming language. Have a look here:
www.biopieces.org.

I expect/hope to learn Ruby with your fine assistance, and I want to
keep in mind good practices etc. However, for this particular project it
is difficult.

Cheers,

Martin

From: Josh Cheek on

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Martin Hansen <mail(a)maasha.dk> wrote:

> Josh Cheek wrote:

> >> Thanks, I am working hard on it!
> >>

> > If you have a comprehensive set of tests, then people can refactor
> > without
> > fear of breaking.
>
> I am working on comprehensive unit testing of class biopieces, but
> "Biopiece writers" should not change anything in that class. They should
> only concentrate on what is in the script they are writing and whatever
> classes they write to expand that.
>

> Martin

I meant rubyists. For example, the time_diff method at the very end can
probably be rewritten

def time_diff(t0, t1)
day0 , hour0 , min0 , sec0 = t0.split(/\D+/)[2..-1].map { |n| n.to_i }
day1 , hour1 , min1 , sec1 = t1.split(/\D+/)[2..-1].map { |n| n.to_i }

sec0 += ( ( day0 * 24 + hour0 ) * 60 + min0 ) * 60
sec1 += ( ( day1 * 24 + hour1 ) * 60 + min1 ) * 60
sec = sec1-sec0

sprintf '%02d:%02d:%02d' , sec/60/60 , sec/60%60 , sec%60
end

But I don't know for sure, without a bunch of tests to show it behaves the
same way. I think the math at the end is probably right, but haven't had a
math course in 2 years, would you rather trust correctness to my "probably
right" or to your ironclad test suite? And when looking at it, I see we
don't use year or month, so I wonder if it has bugs, and I'm just
refactoring bugs, which makes it very difficult to get motivated. I might
also be inclined to play with DateTime to see if it has this functionality
within it, in which case the whole method could probably be replaced with 1
line, but its not immediately obvious to me if it does, so it would be nice
to have some tests that I can know how close I am getting.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: file copy
Next: If call method HTML file not create