From: cwoptn on
Hi Folks,

I have a very basic question. I am little bit confused about how to know
the bandwidth of a time-limited pure sinusoidal signal. I understand
bandwidth is defined simply as the difference between highest frequency and
lowest frequency, and the bandwidth of a infinitely long pure sinusoid if 0
Hz. But if I have a N sample long 50 Hz sinusoid (sampled at Fs samples per
second), how to find bandwith of this signal?

Thanks,
-- cwoptn

From: dbd on
On Aug 5, 3:02 pm, "cwoptn" <gopi.allu(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a very basic question. I am little bit confused about how to know
> the bandwidth of a time-limited pure sinusoidal signal. I understand
> bandwidth is defined simply as the difference between highest frequency and
> lowest frequency, and the bandwidth of a infinitely long pure sinusoid if 0
> Hz. But if I have a N sample long 50 Hz sinusoid (sampled at Fs samples per
> second), how to find bandwith of this signal?
>
> Thanks,
> -- cwoptn

The bandwidth of the truncated pure sinusoid is equal to the
"effective noise bandwidth" (enbw) of the truncating function, often
given in terms of dft bins (Fs/N). For a rectangular truncation
function (window), the enbw is 1.0, so 1.0 x Fs / N.

For other truncating functions, you can look in the usual windows
references like:
On the Use of Windows for Harmonic Analysis
with the Discrete Fourier Transform
fred harris,
from the IEEE proceedings. available at:
http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/windows.pdf
(beware errors in some Blackman and Blackman-Harris window parameters)

See section IV, A on page 54.

Dale B. Dalrymple

From: Fred Marshall on
cwoptn wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a very basic question. I am little bit confused about how to know
> the bandwidth of a time-limited pure sinusoidal signal. I understand
> bandwidth is defined simply as the difference between highest frequency and
> lowest frequency, and the bandwidth of a infinitely long pure sinusoid if 0
> Hz. But if I have a N sample long 50 Hz sinusoid (sampled at Fs samples per
> second), how to find bandwith of this signal?
>
> Thanks,
> -- cwoptn

A lot depends on what you need the "bandwidth" measure for.
A truncated sampled sinusoid will have these characteristics in frequency:
- if the number of periods is an integer then there will be a single
sample pair in frequency.
- if the number of periods isn't an integer then there will be samples
with nonzero value throughout frequency that correspond to the Dirichlet
of the window (like a periodic sinc function). In that case, the
bandwidth is as much as it can possibly be. But, the energy is
concentrated at the frequency of the sine above and below fs or zero if
you will.
- if the window isn't rectangular then you may be able to limit the
perceived bandwidth to something less for any particular sinusoid.

Fred
From: Steve Pope on
dbd <dbd(a)ieee.org> wrote:

>On Aug 5, 3:02�pm, "cwoptn" <gopi.allu(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have a very basic question. I am little bit confused about how to know
>> the bandwidth of a time-limited pure sinusoidal signal. I understand
>> bandwidth is defined simply as the difference between highest frequency and
>> lowest frequency, and the bandwidth of a infinitely long pure sinusoid if 0
>> Hz. But if I have a N sample long 50 Hz sinusoid (sampled at Fs samples per
>> second), how to find bandwith of this signal?

>The bandwidth of the truncated pure sinusoid is equal to the
>"effective noise bandwidth" (enbw) of the truncating function, often
>given in terms of dft bins (Fs/N). For a rectangular truncation
>function (window), the enbw is 1.0, so 1.0 x Fs / N.

>For other truncating functions, you can look in the usual windows
>references like:
>On the Use of Windows for Harmonic Analysis
>with the Discrete Fourier Transform
>fred harris,
>from the IEEE proceedings. available at:
>http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/windows.pdf
>(beware errors in some Blackman and Blackman-Harris window parameters)

I find it interesting how often a continuous-time question
leads to a discrete-time answer on this newsgroup.

S.
From: robert bristow-johnson on
On Aug 5, 7:23 pm, spop...(a)speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
> dbd  <d...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> >On Aug 5, 3:02 pm, "cwoptn" <gopi.allu(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I have a very basic question. I am little bit confused about how to know
> >> the bandwidth of a time-limited pure sinusoidal signal. I understand
> >> bandwidth is defined simply as the difference between highest frequency and
> >> lowest frequency, and the bandwidth of a infinitely long pure sinusoid if 0
> >> Hz. But if I have a N sample long 50 Hz sinusoid (sampled at Fs samples per
> >> second), how to find bandwith of this signal?
> >The bandwidth of the truncated pure sinusoid is equal to the
> >"effective noise bandwidth" (enbw) of the truncating function,

this i get...

> > often given in terms of dft bins (Fs/N).

.... that i don't.

> I find it interesting how often a continuous-time question
> leads to a discrete-time answer on this newsgroup.

and, i guess i'm not alone.

since a time-limited signal can't also be bandlimited, then the answer
depends on how one defines "bandwidth" for something that stretches
out to infinity on one or both sides. then for that i think Fred said
it well: "A lot depends on what you need the "bandwidth" measure for."

r b-j